Hello from Durham, NC

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Howdy folks!

My name is Zac, and I live in Durham, NC. I grew up in Alabama with a very green thumb, but I have a lot of issues with gardening in North Carolina, so I'm always looking for recommendations about what and how!

I've had the best luck with bulbs, hostas, and hellebores, but I'm trying to learn more about vegetable gardening as I'm not having much luck!

This is my second season of trying in earnest. Last season I had good luck with peppers and bush style green beans, but not much else!

-Zac

zac&charles.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome! We are in central Texas, and moved here from upstate New York. Talk about a change in gardening habits:wideyed:! It can be done, but you'll need help from members here.
Does your county have an agricultural extension office? If so, they will likely have a list of recommended varieties of vegetables along with proper planting times.
Don't take the locals advice as gospel. We were told a load of misinformation that it took me a full year to overcome (roses won't grow here, the only tomatoes to plant are Porters, and my favorite, don't bother with a garden, nothing will grow. We are in a farming community!!!)
Keep trying, and you'll have success. We'll help all we can and encourage you all the way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
We'll help all we can and encourage you all the way.
Thanks so much! Shortly after I moved here I was standing on my front stoop one Saturday morning looking at my front lawn and thought to myself, I need some topsoil delivered (as my front lawn basically became a lake when it rained). Well, five HUGE dump trucks and a week of Bobcatting later, I had the topography that I wanted, but when I started trying to get anything to grow I quickly learned that the topsoil I had delivered came from the run-off of a hog farm. It stank and was too anaerobic for anything to grow! And to make matters worse, every time I would plant grass seeds it would come a massive rainfall within a week so I had all these circles of grass growing, and being a first-time homeowner I'd pick up more lawn seed and not really pay attention to what type of seeds. After about a year, I at least had a nice lawn growing, but nothing else would grow. I had just about every type of grass growing so it also pretty much stayed green year-round. :)

20020609.frontyard_2.jpg20030402_frontyard.jpg20030511_frontyard_1.jpg

After about fifteen years of trial and error, I figured out what trees/flowers would grow!

20110400.frontyard_2.JPG20110400.frontyard_3.JPG20110400.frontyard_4.JPG
20180418_202622.jpg

Now I'm trying retired and trying vegetable gardening, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Ask a Question