Hello everyone

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi everyone I hope you all are doing great.
I'm from India and a beginner in gardening. I would like to learn here the methods and tricks to grow plants and vegetables on rooftop.
It's really good to be connected with you all like minded people.

Regards

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, We have many methods of growing and would love to share them with you. What are you growing now, or where would you like to start? Welcome D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So I take it that no one here does any rooftop gardening? This method intrigues me, but I have no interest in playing around with it, for fear of causing great damage to my roof.

Seems like this is a thing in large cities, but not sure if it's just a fad or something that has a real future...

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Sounds like a great idea digitalgardner, lots to think about :-

You´ll find that you will have to carry water and soil and much else up to the roof.
If you can arrange a pulley on an arm to hoist things up on the outside you´ll save yourself some trouble.
People stack old tyres one at a time, filling the insides with soil and growing potatoes, that would work nicely for you.
A plastic barrel full of soil with holes in the sides is good for growing strawberries.
When you grow in containers in a hot climate you need to keep the soil cool, so protect the sides from direct sunlight.
Don´t expose the topsoil soil to the sun either, use stones or something to retain moisture and reflect heat.
You´re stretching the envelope hombré, best wishes from Spain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
They also do a lot of rooftop gardening in NYC and California, but some buildings are not safe to handle the weight, so they need some reinforcement work to build up the structural integrity and all roofs need a protective barrier that keeps the roof clean and dry, emphasis on dry, since if moisture is trapped on the roof, things will eat away the roof. Just some thoughts before doing rooftop gardening.

Another thing to consider, at least in my area, are hurricanes...

Like I said before, I like the idea of rooftop gardening, but it's not something that is so easy as just putting pots on a roof. A lot of things to consider. But if you can do it, it's a great use of some square feet. I really like the idea of large cities doing this, but they are done in a very professional way, which cost a lot of money.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are many super horticulturists in Spain. They have a lot of skills we lack when it comes to making things work well.

Hola, Tengo amigos que viven en España. Mike y Devi en los invernaderos Mandala. Muy útil para enseñarme habilidades hortícolas. He aprendido mucho de estos tipos en España.
Gracias

Reaction score
Country
Spain
The Spanish people are certainly fine horticulturists, and it is perhaps worth mentioning that this has been made possible by the astonishing work done by the Muslims in times past.
Sometimes it doesn´t rain for months on end, and when it does it can often evaporate before it reaches the ground.
Summers are dry and very hot.

The solution was to carve the mountains into terraces and make channels for the melting winter snows on the higher Sierra Nevada, which make their twisting way down eventually to the villages and towns, providing clean fresh water which is used on a rota basis.
Two of these channels, or acequias, run through my garden, and men from the pueblo take turns to tend the water and keep the acequias clear. On Monday mornings I take my turn to flood my orchards. I´m the last property in line for one acequia, so I can use it whenever it runs, since after me it goes down into the river at the bottom of the canyon. I´m first in line for the other acequia, which feeds the pueblo, so I have to get my watering done early to avoid bothering others lower down.

In the lower garden, below the public footpath, there is an ancient ruin where the first people to inhabit this bit of the mountain lived.
In the early 90´s a local man who had spent his working life as a builder in Germany decided this was a fine spot to build a ¨cortijo ¨ or farmhouse, so the house is well built and well located for water and sunshine.
Thanks to him there are twenty odd different things to eat in the garden, and I like to reflect as I eat one of my oranges that the juice within, thanks to our Muslim brethren, fell as snow on the mountain peaks.

I feel hopelessly indebted to those who made my paradise what it is today, they have made it a very special place to be.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds so interesting, and I would love to be there for a couple of seasons to learn from you. I can only imagine the beautiful mountains and snow water traveling below to the orchards. Having an orange off your on tree is quite a special moment, one has to be there to know the specialness. Thanks Giri!

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Thank you oneeye, you would be a welcome visitor. As we say in Spain, Mi casa es tu casa!
This morning I can see that the Sierra Lujar, to the south have had a lot of snow, so the Nevadas behind the house will have had even more. It was needed.

...and there´s no need to just imagine, here´s the estate agent´s Youtube video from 2016, the house has changed a bit, but the garden continues as it was.

Ref877- Cortijo/Country House For Sale In Lanjarón.

Hope you enjoy your ¨visit. ¨

Ask a Question