Hello All! (Intro)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hello All,

I am excited to be joining this site as I am new gardener and am interested in seeing what I can find on here! I recently started a garden in my backyard, my first plants are kale and spinach since I am able to plant those in cold weather seasons. They just sprouted and seem to be coming along nicely!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome @NicoleM!
Are you planting from seed? Yes kale, spinach and most greens do quite well in cooler weather. In fact frost or a light freeze makes them sweeter. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I've heard kale and spinach are excellent to grow in the winter months but I haven't yet given them a try myself - I've mainly stuck to summer veggies in the past! Might have to change that soon!

Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey there! @NicoleM welcome to the site. I had no idea that Kale and spinach could grow in the winter. This is why I love this site I always learn something new.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hey there! @NicoleM welcome to the site. I had no idea that Kale and spinach could grow in the winter. This is why I love this site I always learn something new.
Yes I did my research because I didn't want to wait until spring to start my garden lol. I love leafy greens as well, so it's definitely a plus! I plan on starting cabbage very soon!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've heard kale and spinach are excellent to grow in the winter months but I haven't yet given them a try myself - I've mainly stuck to summer veggies in the past! Might have to change that soon!

Welcome to the forum!
Thank you! Alot of what I wanted to plant grow best in warmer months, so after doing some research and speaking to some friends I found out I could grow leafy greens in the colder months. That worked out well, considering I love my veggies!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. I did not know kale and spinach could be grown during the winter months. We do green drinks, it would be good to have some of kale or spinach growing in the garden for the smoothies.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. I did not know kale and spinach could be grown during the winter months. We do green drinks, it would be good to have some of kale or spinach growing in the garden for the smoothies.
Yes they do very well in cold weather, I must say mine are coming along very nicely! I would definitely try it to have on hand, especially for smoothies and other meals!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I did my research because I didn't want to wait until spring to start my garden lol. I love leafy greens as well, so it's definitely a plus! I plan on starting cabbage very soon!

"Oooh weee I love me some good ole cabbage." Sorry my mothers southern roots took control over me there for minute. So your growing leafy greens and cabbage. You got me hungry over here lady lol. I wish I had enough yard space to grow some of this stuff.

Ask a Question