Hellebore disease?

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Greetings,

A couple weeks ago I bought a Hellebore Niger plant from a website, but when I received it, the plant had a few discolored or yellow-ish leaves. I attributed that to the stress of the transportation but, as time passed, the condition of the plant worsened. More and more leaves lost their color, until they were entirely dissiccated. The flowers (normally white) started gaining a slight green hue and losing volume.

I fear the plant is going to die on me, and I don't know what to do. I'd appreciate any suggestion on how to handle this issue.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-12-29 at 04.43.11.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-29 at 04.43.11.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 49
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-12-29 at 04.44.15.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-29 at 04.44.15.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 50

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome to the G forums, with hellebores you need to cut the old leaves and stalks off and it will grow new ones.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Why are you growing it indoors? To me it looks as if it really could do with some proper light.
Sorry Logan, but H. niger should only have dead leaves removed. It is H, orientalis and hybrids which need deleafing. The evergreen types like niger do not appreciate it to the same extent.

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Unfortunately, I can't grow it outdoors, because my home doesn't have a balcony or a garden. I had read that hellebores require little light, and I thought it was ok to grow then indoors. So, is this ultimately only a matter of needing more light and removing dead leaves?

Also, thank you for the welcome and for the help as well.

Last edited:

Ask a Question