Hell Spawn Caterpillars, please help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a-8b
Country
United States
So, my cucumbers have been going strong all summer here in Florida. Over the last week I've noticed holes in the leaves and well, yellowing/dying leaves. I finally got to do some investigating today and found caterpillars and hard cocoons. I need an ID on these terrorists of the garden. Also, a plan of action. I am not a fan of chemicals, as I make a lot of my 6 month old sons food from our garden.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
spray with Bt (Bacillus thuringensis). It is organic and totally safe. It only affects caterpillars. Any nursery will have it and it is sold under many brand names

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I agree with @InvasiveCreeper Creeper that a few chickens will sort the issue for you. Might be worth trying since it does not involve any chemicals. Funny but possible. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a-8b
Country
United States
I ended up using Monterey Garden Insect concentrate. It's made with Spinosad which is derived from bacteria. It's registered as natural and is used widely in organic agriculture. Anyways, mixing it 4 tablespoons per gallon of water done the trick. Spraying the underside of every leaf was a beast of a task, but well worth it! I sprayed them after sundown yesterday and agri-terrorists are dying/dead today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I ended up using Monterey Garden Insect concentrate. It's made with Spinosad which is derived from bacteria. It's registered as natural and is used widely in organic agriculture. Anyways, mixing it 4 tablespoons per gallon of water done the trick. Spraying the underside of every leaf was a beast of a task, but well worth it! I sprayed them after sundown yesterday and agri-terrorists are dying/dead today.
Spinosad is great stuff, an excellent all around organic pesticide. Bt is much more effective on caterpillars however. With Bt, after one bite of a sprayed leaf the caterpillar immediately stops feeding and is dead within 4-6 hours. Since caterpillars chew completely through a leaf spraying both sides is not mandatory. Bt is selective as it only kills caterpillars. Spinosad is non selective and therefore one must be careful as to what all is going to be affected. Every serious gardener should have both and Neem Oil too

Ask a Question