hedge cut back hard to boundary line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there ,I have cut back neighbours eleagnus x ebbingei hedge to boundary .some of the branch ends are now 25mm thick .he is demanding £400 pounds to pay for pruning to help restore hedge. Hedge is only about 6ft long .Will hedge thicken out without this work ? any thoughts greatly received.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi there ,I have cut back neighbours eleagnus x ebbingei hedge to boundary .some of the branch ends are now 25mm thick .he is demanding £400 pounds to pay for pruning to help restore hedge. Hedge is only about 6ft long .Will hedge thicken out without this work ? any thoughts greatly received.
In most of the US if any limb or portion of any kind of plant is on your side of the property line you have the right to remove it. Don't know about in the UK but here I would tell him to stick his 400 where the sun don't shine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
In the UK you are allowed to remove any portion of a plant which comes on to your land, as long as you return or offer to return the cut pieces.
Tell him where to go!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

Owdboggy is right. If the hedge belongs wholly to your neighbour, it is their responsibility to maintain it on both sides. If they do not, you are permitted to prune back growth which is on your side of the boundary, but you should offer to return the trimmings to them (as it is their property). I don't think you are permitted to reduce the height though, just remove growth that falls into your property boundary. As far as I know, he has no right to try and make you pay for anything at all!

Oh, and eleagnus x ebbingei is quite fast growing so should bush out again quickly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would tell him that people in hell want ice water so he can just keep wanting your $. Eventually the hedge should fill back in.

Ask a Question