Hebe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone , could I please have some help on a Hebe Albicans that I have just bought from a garden centre . The owner said it has been in the pot for a year and needs to be in the ground where I am going to plant it . Some of the leaves are yellow , can you advice on the best food to add when I plant it , many thanks Dave

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 233
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hebe is very versatile and does well in pots, so if you don't have anywhere to plant it in the ground then you could consider a container. Aim for full sun, but they're not too fussy. It may be that it is losing leaves due to the harsh weather we've had recently, or maybe it wasn't getting enough light at the garden centre, hard to say. Organic compost should have all the nutrients it needs (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your reply Becky , I've put organic compost like you suggest and hoping it will now romp on . Cheers Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
David, did you pull it out of the pot to see what the roots look like? If it is an older plant, it may be rootbound to the point there is no soil left. If that is the case you can water all day and still have the plant starve to death.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Silentrunning , what you describe is what it did look like , will the plant recover . Many thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It should recover with some new soil. Just don’t over water. To be on the safe side I would take 3 of the best looking branches and try rooting them. This way if the mother plant doesn’t make it you may get an offspring.

Ask a Question