Heart Disease

Reaction score
What are some of the best vegetables to eat to help ward off the effects of high cholesterol, artery blockage, and/or high blood pressure. I'm getting up there in age and haven't eaten as good as I should have.

Any advice?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oat Bran is very good, Garlic springs to mind too. There are more, i'll keep my eye open when i'm flicking through my gardening mags:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Broccoli is your friend.
Good for, amongst other things, cancer, heart disease, arthritis, macular degeneration.
As a rule of thumb, with fruits, the darker the fruit, the higher the antioxidant level.

Reaction score
I heard that blueberries and eggplants are a good food to eat. There are a lot of health benefits in these two but all fruits and vegetables are good for you. You should also try tomatoes and other red fruits and vegetables.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
OK, I am just repeating what I have learned, but don't practice. This is what is being said. I know that if you eat primarily veggies/nuts you can lower your cholesterol and reverse prediabetic symptoms. A friend was very successful in doing both with her diet alone.

Berries of all kinds are good if organic (they soak up pesticides), all veggies are good for you, but remember corn is a grain and potatoes are just starch and should be avoided. Cole crops are excellent (kale, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage to name a few). Go easy on fruits. Stay away from processed foods, wheat/breads, sugar and artificial sweeteners. Don't forget to eat fish, but severely limit red meat. Seeds and nuts are very good for you in moderation.

Good luck with eating healthy. I wish I wasn't such a junk food addict, but I keep trying to put a variety of healthy foods in my diet. Now if I could just limit the amounts.

Reaction score
I love eating healthy foods and I eat lots of fruit and vegetables. I'm not a health nut per se, I.just like eating healthy.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the insight, guys. I've got to make some changes with my diet. I'm 44 and in pretty good health, but there is a history of heart disease in my family, and a history of junk and fast food and soft drinks in my mouth!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the insight, guys. I've got to make some changes with my diet. I'm 44 and in pretty good health, but there is a history of heart disease in my family, and a history of junk and fast food and soft drinks in my mouth!
Good luck and good health.

I like fruit juice with cheap sparkling mineral water.
If you use not from concentrate juice, apparently that helps to avoid the sugar "spike" which is bad for late onset (type 2) diabetes.

Ask a Question