Hazelnut hedge

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I would like to make a hedge for privacy between my house and the road. A friend suggested hazelnut shrubs as a good option. My question is for a hedge how far apart would I want to plant the hazelnuts, what time of year? (I’m in northeast Ohio). And any other tips or insights would be appreciated.
Thanks

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you plant hazelnut hedges, make sure that you love squirrels which can be a nuisance. They bury their stuff everywhere, some might even end up in your carboot .. They ate my bulbs, kicked off my begonia and seeded their peanut. You won't get a chance to get the nuts as they will get them before you!

You can get a hedge that is evergreen and google evergreen hedge. Some people suggest choysia, red robin, oceanthus, euonymous, privet, cotoneaster which can purify the air pyracanthus is also a good choice deterring intruders and they have lovely berries.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you both for your welcome and the advice. I will look into evergreen hedges. I do enjoy squirrels actually living in the country I have quite a few of them as well as other wildlife. I hear hazelnuts attract deer as well which would be great as I am a hunter

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, you will love your hazelnut hedge .. Happy planting!

Ask a Question