Have you started your gardens yet???

Reaction score
It is still too early for us to plant outside yet, but this week I am working on my seed order. Hopefully I can send it off in a couple of days. I buy most of my seeds locally, but for anything COOL I have to turn to the seed catalogues! Carrot and cabbage seeds I can buy at a local feed store next to my bank,

I can order a super-sweet watermelon called "Hime Kansen" from Kitzawa Seed Company, which has been in business for 90 years, and the big seed company Burpee has a really LARGE selection of seeds! I rarely order from Burpee, but they DO have a bigger selection than most! I want an extra-sweet variety of Kale as well as some Dahlia seeds, and Burpee has them both! This is not a done deal: I may still find what I want elsewhere. I have nothing AGAINST Burpee, exactly: I just prefer doing business with little Mom and Pop places instead of being a drop of water in the ocean, if that makes sense!

I can probably plant cabbages and carrots next week, as long as I cover them during bad weather. This entire week is supposed to be mild, and the top inch of soil has already thawed. I don't think anything ELSE can be planted yet, which is fine because I don't want to have to cover very many plants when the weather is bad!

Besides, it will probably take a couple of weeks for the seeds to arrive!

Have you folks started your gardens yet? I know that my spring is later than some! Are you lanning anything cool? I think that I want to try raising some flowers in order to dry them, so tht I can have dried flower bouquets on the table next winter!

I love spring, it is my favorite time of year! I have a picture of my garden in my head, and there are not yet any weeds and nothing has failed yet. By midsummer when I look at my garden I will see the many things that still need doing, but for now the garden is entirely in my mind and it is PERFECT! No weeds, no gaps in the row, and absolutely no reality!

If the weather holds, I can begin planting next week.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
"for now the garden is entirely in my mind and it is PERFECT! No weeds, no gaps in the row, and absolutely no reality!" Oh yes, Terri, that is my garden also!
Right now we are at the end of our winter garden--cutting side stalks from the broccoli, pulled the last of the turnips today, need to weed the garlic and onions, and the peas are beginning to blossom.
Dried flowers are very traditional--if you ever visit Willamsburg, VA. you'll see dried flower bouquets everywhere. Find some "straw flower" seed. I grew them in upstate NY and had lots of bouquets, with dried artemisia (Silver Queen) as filler. Baby's Breath is another good flower to dry.
Please show us your garden when it is in the ground, not in your head--I'd bet it is magnificent!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Our ground is still frozen and will be for another 6 weeks at least but I have seedlings in the house and will be firing up the greenhouse end of next week. Can't wait! !!

Reaction score
Not really, for me it won't be until next year that I'll start working on a garden. But if the weather is like it is now, I guess I'll start getting my seeds ready to start planting them after a few weeks :D I'll start some plants indoors tho...

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will not start my indoor plants untill the end of March it is still too cold out, if I start at the end of March by the end of April when it has warmed up outside I will be able to put a few plants out if it is not too wet.

Here is an idea I saw on Pinterest to start the indoor plants.

f8e692c7af33ea8f36c0d0d65a0a4cb7.jpg

DIY Greenhouse...using a metal shelf, two clear shower curtains and some clothespins.

Reaction score
Alas, today is grey and windy, and all of my enthusiasm has dried up! I should be counting my blessings because so much of the USA is receiving snow right now, but I am as grumpy as a bear! The only GOOD thing is that the cats are keeping me company today! I think the wind ruffles their fur so the cold can reach their skin. So, they can get cold in spite of their fur.

When I look on line, I am really SHOCKED at how cheap dried flowers are! Still, I would rather grow my own so that I can enjoy a part of my garden inside during the winter. I have been looking at dried flower arrangements on-line, so I can decide what to plant.

Artemesia looks lovely, and statice of course, and I think I need to decide on a yellow flower of some sort. Wheat makes a lovely accent, as do some of the foliage plants. I can make 4-odd different bouquets and rotate them through the kitchen so they do not become boring!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Everythings thawed out here, so i'm back to digging the plot over.

Chicken is currently sitting on Pink Fir Apple & International Kidney seed potatoes :)
DSCN0831.JPG

Ask a Question