Have you ever seen an indoor water feature?

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
My brother in law designs outdoor water features. They are beautiful and natural looking in ones garden. Recently, I was at a restaurant that has a waterfall wall inside of the dining area. I found it to be beautiful! And it gave me the idea that maybe an indoor water feature would be something people would also like. But I am not sure on how hard it would be to maintain. I know people are often concerned about water damage to their home. What do you think? Is an indoor water feature a good idea? have you ever seen one?

Reaction score
My brother in law designs outdoor water features. They are beautiful and natural looking in ones garden. Recently, I was at a restaurant that has a waterfall wall inside of the dining area. I found it to be beautiful! And it gave me the idea that maybe an indoor water feature would be something people would also like. But I am not sure on how hard it would be to maintain. I know people are often concerned about water damage to their home. What do you think? Is an indoor water feature a good idea? have you ever seen one?
Much like yourself, I see them fairly often in restaurants and bars, but I don't think I've ever seen them in someone's actual home. No wait, I tell a lie, one of my uncles has a nice little koi pond type dealy in his conservatory. It's quite lovely really, and he likes to sit there, feeding the fish when he needs to relax.

Reaction score
I see these indoor water feature mostly at restaurants and they are so appealing to the sight however i think I've only saw it twice inside of a home; i'm not sure how the pump system works or if the water damages their home. I will surely ask about this though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My mother in law had one that she got from Costco a few years back. It was actually one that you hang on the wall and was very relaxing to listen to. The only problem with it was that it started growing uncontrollable algae and she had to throw it out. It was nice while it lasted.

Reaction score
nothing beyond an aquarium.

I have a couple of those tube things, that blow air bubbles to make fake fish float up and down the tube, but I guess that's just a fake aquarium.

Reaction score
Although not as elaborate as the water features seen in many restaurants - its is quite common where I live - for people to have an indoor water feature in their home - mainly because as our climate is extremely hot and dry having a small water feature or fountain in your home - helps to stop the problems of dry skin and those of furnishings drying out as well as making the atmosphere of a room feel a whole lot more comfortable - as they add moisture to the air and although they do need to be kept clean due to the possibility of bacteria build up - as the water used them is generally distilled water and not tap water - it is a relatively easy process.

As I mentioned earlier they not normally anything too elaborate and generally look something like this

Water Features - Indoor 1.jpg

Water Features - Indoor - Cascading teapots.jpg

Water Features - Indoor 3.jpg

Reaction score
In the past, I have had several store bought water features in my home. I find the sound of the water to be very relaxing, and the water feature helps to keep the humidity in my house up. I have never had a really large one like the post just before mine, but it is so beautiful. I can see it nestled in a corner, with a lot of greenery around it and maybe a better in the water at the bottom. I also think the one with the copper colored pots beautiful. I never had a problem with algae growing in any of my little indoor water spots.

Reaction score
I see these indoor water feature mostly at restaurants and they are so appealing to the sight however i think I've only saw it twice inside of a home; i'm not sure how the pump system works or if the water damages their home. I will surely ask about this though.
I always find it quite beautiful when they're in restaurants. It always makes me think that this place is classy, even if it isn't really all that better than other places.

Reaction score
I have seen them in restaurants as well. An old friend of mine's husband built a small water feature in their home similar to what I have wanted to do. it would be similar to this outdoor waterfall/pond, but much smaller, and made to look like an outcropping from the inside wall of the house. I want it to use no more than a couple of gallons of water since there will be weight from the rocks and I don't want to break through the floor! Some rocks may need to be artificial to reduce the weight. The pond part would be very shallow.

waterfall_pond_zps3f32fa40.jpg

Reaction score
My mother in law had a little tabletop fountain like the ones Gata posted because they were trendy a few years ago and even Walmart sold them.
I've never seen any indoor water features in someone's home that were bigger than the store bough tabletop fountains.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Some time ago, I saw very small indoor waterfalls in a home decoration store in my area. They weren't too pretty, but I like the idea itself. Listening to the sound of flowing water is very relaxing.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I remember someone having a fountain in their home and the did have problems with the fountain growing alge. My daughter had a table top fountain which was cute, I would like a large fountain in the garden.

Reaction score

10 Indoor Water Features That You'll Actually Want In Your Home

Backyard fountains, pools and ponds are a great way to add ambiance to your outdoor space. Inside the house, however, the presence of water isn't usually considered a good thing. (Leaky pipes, anyone?) But an indoor feature is something else. Yes, it's a great way to get that Zen-vibe... if that's what you're into. We think of these as more of an impressive focal point that makes everything else in the room seem luxurious.

Source - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/16/indoor-water-features-photos_n_3600276.html

Reaction score
I have seen this is many restaurants and I absolutely love it ! We live in Florida so there is the ocean theme in many places and they try to bring the water inside if at all possible. I truly love it and think it is just so relaxing to just sit and watch. :) I have even seen it done in a few very expensive houses and it's stunning. :)
Great addition to any restaurant or home. :)

Danyel :)

Reaction score
Omg, yeah, I have seen them and couldn't help but to wish having one in the future. Not this one house, but the next house we own... I'd love to get something like that for my house one day :) We'd hire a pro for that, I'll not let my SO convince me he can do something like that because he watched a lot DIY shows...

Ask a Question