Have I been ripped off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I had a new lawn laid in August last year. We looked after it exactly as told to (ie kept off the lawn, watered frequently, cut end of October on highest setting, then again in Jan on highest setting). The lawn took really well and seemed healthy, until in Nov when we notices patches dying. In January, the whole lawn was sparse and now in Feb, there are huge areas that are now just mud. We haven't been in the garden much at all. I wondered if anyone could give some advice as to what's gone wrong and what we may be able to do to salvage it? Thanks in advance! Ben (I've attached a pdf document which shows some pictures of the lawn before, during and now)

Attachments

• Lawn Pics.pdf
    908.8 KB · Views: 127
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
August is a bit late to lay new turf in my opinion. On my patch, if it had been laid then I would certainly not have cut it at all until this spring as turf needs time for roots to take in the soil underneath. Having been cut I daresay you had some freezing horrible snowy weather (we did here in Kent) which might have been the last straw.
In your present position, I would buy some grass seed now and sow that as the weather warms up (watch out in case we get another very cold blast) Given the right conditions the seed should germinate well as the timing will be better, and then you can sit back and watch it grow.

Wishing you good luck with it and welcome to the forum. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
August is a bit late to lay new turf in my opinion. On my patch, if it had been laid then I would certainly not have cut it at all until this spring as turf needs time for roots to take in the soil underneath. Having been cut I daresay you had some freezing horrible snowy weather (we did here in Kent) which might have been the last straw.
In your present position, I would buy some grass seed now and sow that as the weather warms up (watch out in case we get another very cold blast) Given the right conditions the seed should germinate well as the timing will be better, and then you can sit back and watch it grow.

Wishing you good luck with it and welcome to the forum. :)

Thank you so much for getting back to me! Really appreciate the reply and advice. I've order Rolawn grass seed and fertiliser so fingers crossed. Thanks again. Ben

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don`t be too eager to use fertiliser. The seed won`t need any of that at the germinating stage, or for a while afterwards. Stick it on the shelf for later on. I daresay the birds will have a good feed on the seed - but don`t worry they won't get it all, save some for the patches. Once your grass gets going nothing will stop it - it is tough stuff. Keep smiling (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I could say a lot, but I will simply say. Sadly the answer lies in the soil. A very true saying of the late. Bernard Miles. Seriously though, from the piccies. This is correct. IMO the site preparation holds the answer. Generally speaking, turves, like potted plants, shrubs etc can be planted at any time provided the ground is not frozen. Albeit, I have known turves to be laid on semi frozen, frosted soil.
What has happened here. Commercial turf nurseries, will often pre-treat areas of turf prior to cutting and lifting. In a similar way that Multi purpose composts arde given a feed, that usually last some six weeks.

Just my opinion. Your turves were in tip top condition when laid. That pre-treatment did it's job and then, the soil forming the base of the turves became exhausted.

Now might I suggest. You pick a suitable time to sow fresh seed. As mentioned. Don't use any feed etc. The principal here is, to treat the base soil of the turves, as being your top layer of prepared soil area. Sad to say, should your efforts fail. Then there must be some deep problem.
Please keep us up dated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I remember Bernard Miles saying it. However checking it out on the net. It is quoted as coming from the program. Beyond our Ken. We live and learn.

Ask a Question