Hate to ask...What tree is this?

litwardle

Rookie gardener, Devon, UK
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United Kingdom
Moving Into a new property next week..any ideas what tree this is? Some kind of elm? Previous occupants used it to house a washing line (which I will remove)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Doesn't look like an elm to me...Can you post close-up photos of the bark and emerging leaves?

litwardle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United Kingdom
He Beth, this is the best I can do at the moment as we're not in there until next week. Silver Birch poss??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not a tree expert...But the birches on this side of the pond tend to have a single straight trunk that branches out higher up. Same with elms, plus elms have sort of heavy striated bark.

I'm stumped! Hopefully someone more knowledgeable, or more familiar with your native trees, will have a better guess.

litwardle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for giving it some thought:) it looks a bit sad at the moment, I was hoping to find out how to nurture it a little! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do you have a garden center, or (the equivalent of) our state Master Gardener program, or even a commercial tree service you can show those photos to?

When the weather warms up and it starts leafing out it'll probably be much easier to identify. :)

litwardle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United Kingdom
We have garden centres, I work along side our local one in my job (nothing to do with gardens I hasten to add) I'll have a chat with someone.

I will certainly add some better photos when we move in though :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well do post when you get a positive ID! I googled some with no luck but now I'm curious!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
That third truck coming out of the ground, the smaller one that is winding around, it needs to be sawed out at the base and gently taken off that other truck, its not good for the general health of the tree/ shrub. Now I am debating if its a tree shaped hydrangea or a star magnolia. because, with a true tree you rarely get that third truck coming out like that . but a star magnolia will shot up crazy stuff and a hydrangea also. But in any event saw that part out no matter what it is, the rubbing of that on the other trunk will lead to opening and possible insects etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks a little like magnolia to me, but difficult to tell without seeing foliage etc. If that's the case it's not sad, just dormant over winter ;) You'll soon know if it is magnolia because they are a picture in spring!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I Was thinking magnolia Too:) been looking at it lol now I see others are thinking the same . I don't bet but if I did that's what I'd put my money on;) And it will be in flower soon
th1EVVG6IL.jpg

litwardle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United Kingdom
Finally in and starting to get sorted. Tree is starting to come to life..!

Attachments

• 20170310_082601.jpg
    20170310_082601.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 245

Ask a Question