Has anyone tested the pH level of their garden soil?

Reaction score
Has anyone tested the pH level of their garden soil?

For some reason my soil is to acidic for most vegetables. That is why I generally plant flowers.
I think tomatoes may grow. But for some reason my neighbors have the problem.

Reaction score
Its not a hard thing to do, garden centers or local agricultural stations have kits that you can do yourself. Once you have a reading on your levels you can make the necessary adjustments to the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
No, I've never tested the pH level of my garden soil. I feel that I should do it though. I should also check the pH level of soil in flower pots in my home. My miniature roses don't look too healthy:(

Reaction score
I picked up a kit at one point a few years ago. It also came with some other chemicals to test for other aspects of the soil but I never used them. For me, I wanted to know what the natural pH was in order to grow suitable plants but I also wanted to be able to adjust the pH to encourage a few other things to grow better.

There are a variety of soil conditioners on the market and if your soil is too acidic, you can correct it before planting and grow what you want. These conditioners work well with annuals as you can reapply the conditioner at the beginning of each growing season as needed.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Testing the soil before you plant can save you some headaches and heart aches. You will not lose as many plants if the ph balance has been tested before you see a problem with the plants. You will know what needs to be addressed to keep your plants healthy inside and out.

Ask a Question