Has anyone ever had flowers or plants stolen from their garden?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear all this.

I did have a youth sit down on my front wall a few weeks back, looked like he was waiting for someone, just started uprooting my flowers and throwing them in the road.

Fortunately my computer is right by the window & I leant out & said, "Oi, do you mind not throwing my flowers into the road!"

Got a "Sorry Mister." before he moved on.

Cheaper and more fun than CCTV, would be to put a sprinkler in the rose bush & wait for them to come back

Reaction score
Sorry to hear all this.

I did have a youth sit down on my front wall a few weeks back, looked like he was waiting for someone, just started uprooting my flowers and throwing them in the road.

Fortunately my computer is right by the window & I leant out & said, "Oi, do you mind not throwing my flowers into the road!"

Got a "Sorry Mister." before he moved on.

Cheaper and more fun than CCTV, would be to put a sprinkler in the rose bush & wait for them to come back

LOL .. would love to do that.. but when you live in an apartment there is very little you can do.. sprinkers are not permitted. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Plan B then, hide behind the bush and when someone picks a flower, scream "OH GOD THAT HURT!!"

Reaction score
Plan B then, hide behind the bush and when someone picks a flower, scream "OH GOD THAT HURT!!"

Ha ha! That would scare the living daylights out of them! They might end up peeing all over your plants from the shock! It would serve them right though! There are some good revenge tactics emerging from this post! :D

Reaction score
I have, but not from humans. I have woke up and walked out onto my deck to find a bird by my plants. I thought it was picking for bugs until I saw something green in it's mouth when it flew away. It literally picked a couple tomato plants down to nothing. I was so frustrated with that, I can't imagine how I would feel if a person took it!

We have a 6 foot fence around our yard, so if somebody jumped our fence it probably wouldn't be for the garden.

Reaction score
I once woke up to find all the beautiful flowers from my rosebush had been cut off and stolen. Have you ever found any flowers or plants missing or stolen from your garden? I felt so helpless.

Probably some cheap jerk who wanted to get his girlfriend roses but didn't want to spend the money. I'm sorry that happened to you. It sucks to lose all that hard work.

Reaction score
Probably some cheap jerk who wanted to get his girlfriend roses but didn't want to spend the money. I'm sorry that happened to you. It sucks to lose all that hard work.

Thank you for your kind words. At the time I was racking my brain to think of anyone who had some kind of revenge pinned on me! I couldn't think of anyone, so it must of been a boyfriend in trouble somewhere! :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is terrible that someone would steal your flowers. My daughter pulled off a couple of flowers from a neighbors bush for me once and I had to have a talk with her about it. It was innocent enough, but still not right to do.

Reaction score
That's terrible to hear! I've never actually had a rosebush, nor have I ever had my flowers stolen. I have had flowers in my garden get ruined by animals. There would always be rabbit prints in the dirt, so I'm assuming they're rabbits that are ruining my garden!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have not had a human steal any of my plants but the wild life in the yard make it hard to keep plants on the deck or in the yard. There are alot of birds in the yard looking for food which maybe one of my plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not to me personally, but my mom had her garden stolen from, and later trashed, last year. She had worked so hard at it, and began noticing small plant fruit, like peppers coming up missing, and then later tomatoes. She had complained to some college students living in the area, which, of course denied it, but later in the week "someone" ripped her plants to shreds. I suggested she call the police, since she knew who likely did it, but she thought the police would have said it wasn't a destruction of property issue, since you can't put a cash value on garden plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have never had any flowers stolen, but we did have someone take a lot of our garden plants. Everything they could take they did, Lord I would have gave them all of it if they would have just asked. I don't know why people steel and take thing that don't belong to them most people would give you what ever you needed if you would just ask. My only guess would be that somebody had to be very hungry in order to steel out of a garden then again you never know it could have been Kids that just wanted to be doing something mean. I don't think I've ever had somebody just steel my flower, but I'd do see my neighbor occasionally picking off a rose off my bush every once in awhile.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I thankfully never had to deal with that issue in the years that I've kept plants. My mother kept a really gorgeous garden with roses of all varieties and perennials that I took meticulous care of on a constant basis as a teen. Even though the neighbors had kids running around, none of them ventured to pick the flowers or anything like that. I guess that constantly seeing me and my mother working out there kind of drove home the point how hard we worked on the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
My neighbor a crossed the road had a planter shaped like a swan, sure enough someone stole it. From that point on I have always been careful where I put potted plants. So far I have been lucky. I have not had any plants stolen but I have had plenty of plants munched on. Just noticed the other day some hungry creature munched what was left of the chrysanthemum, they had to be pretty darn hungry because that plant was encased in snow not even two weeks ago. I expect that wildlife may eat some of the plants so I try to make sure I leave some things they would prefer. The mum's I suspect are a treat for the groundhog, for years now the ones on the side of the drive get nibbled.

Reaction score
Sometime ago i had a beautiful orchid that i hang on an almond tree in my front yard, one day on returning from work i realized that it was missing ....i asked my neighbors if they knew anything about it but no one saw who took it and until today i haven't heard a thing in its regard.

Ask a Question