Harvesting Rose Hips

Reaction score
Rose hips are said to have one of the highest concentrations of vitamin C. They even sell them at the grocery store for making tea. Have you ever harvested rose hips yourself?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They saved Britain from scurvey during the war, when the U boats were stopping fresh fruit getting thru.

Think i've got a thread about them on here soemwhere, i'll have a look :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have never harvested rose hips myself, but I often drink rose hip tea. It's kind of tasty, especially if you combine it with raspberry tea and honey:) I love healthy beverages like this. They're much better than plain water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I hate roses (they stink to me) but I LOVE rose hip tea. Great post! I have been wondering this myself. I hope someone has the answer because I have had problems finding it online. Maybe I'm just not searching right. My boyfriend loves roses and wants to make a rose garden next year and I figured I might as well harvest the hips. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Found it!

http://www.gardenguides.com/108659-harvest-rose-hips.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you all, this is very helpful information. About the only reason I would ever use valuable space for a flowering bush is to get the rose hips from it for nutrition.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all, this is very helpful information. About the only reason I would ever use valuable space for a flowering bush is to get the rose hips from it for nutrition.

We just pick them from the wild around here :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, then I'll show my boyfriend this thread too, maybe it will encourage him to buy me more roses:D I can never have enough of them!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Haha, then I'll show my boyfriend this thread too, maybe it will encourage him to buy me more roses:D I can never have enough of them!

He might just take you down the Chemists and buy you a bottle of Syrup :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have taken them as a supplement. Whenever I think of rosehip it always makes me think of Nostradamus. As he was also a physician, he would actually practice real medicine occasionally. He made a pill from rosehip that would help people keep their strength during The Plague. He was also part wizard, and wood only pluck them under a full moon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I thought that was witch hazel you only pluck under a full moon :p. It is amazing how many of the plants that were used in ancient times and no longer being used today are now being proven to be really good for you. Take pumpkin leaves for instance. No one uses them anymore. They just throw them away. They are high in vitamins, good for diabetics, and can be used as an alternative to bread for sandwiches. And yet no one uses them anymore. You can't even buy them on the market. You have to grow your own.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Kevinkimbers, I know that there many parts of fruits and vegetables, as well as their parent plant, you can eat. People usually discard large portions of celery, broccoli, and spring onions. I personally eat the leaf off of strawberries with no side effect. But there are some parts of plants and produce that can kill you if you eat them. Apple and apricot seeds have traces of arsenic. I heard cherry tree leaves have enough poison to put you in the hospital, if not underground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Kevinkimbers, I know that there many parts of fruits and vegetables, as well as their parent plant, you can eat. People usually discard large portions of celery, broccoli, and spring onions. I personally eat the leaf off of strawberries with no side effect. But there are some parts of plants and produce that can kill you if you eat them. Apple and apricot seeds have traces of arsenic. I heard cherry tree leaves have enough poison to put you in the hospital, if not underground.

I've heard of that to. I wonder why that is? Why are some parts of plants harmful to us when we can eat other parts with no effects. It seems strange to me. Guess that just they way they were made. I do know that a lot of plants also have medical uses behind the parts that we don't eat on them as well as the parts we do. Did you know that Willow bark is a natural aspirin? Amazing how we depend on all these medications on the market when a lot of the cures we need are growing right in our back (or in some cases front) yards. LOL Now that is Food for thought.

Ask a Question