Harsh Winter Perennials

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
"Perennials Designed to Withstand the Harshest of Winters
When tough winters turn yards into piles of twigs, gardeners rethink their planting strategies. Here's a list of cold-hardy perennials that can stand a polar vortex or two. Plus, check out our top winter plant survival tips.

By Doug Jimerson"

This article gives you some ideas of plants to plant now for spring that will make it through the coming winter months. Several were new to me.

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/flower...sh-winters/?sssdmh=dm17.761051&esrc=nwgn09251

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing this article:) The last few winters in Poland weren't cold at all, but I worry that things may change. I read somewhere that we will soon experience the coldest winter of the century:( I hope it's not true, but it's better to be prepared.

Reaction score
Great article you posted Pat and as there is really no reason why anyone should feel that they have to go without plants over the autumn/winter period - I have a few tips which I hope you will find helpful too - particularly as autumn is generally quite a busy time if you grow perennials as there are so very many things that can be done to ensure that you are rewarded with a beautiful sight come spring and summer.

Especially as autumn is the best time for sowing perennial seeds as well as dividing and transplanting many hardy perennial plants and also the time that many hardy varieties like to be planted too - as it gives them time to establish their root systems before having to deal with the stresses and strains of high summer temperatures and drought.

Although what you plant does have a lot to do with the climate you live in as well as the variety of perennial that you are planning to plant - here are a few more perennial plants that can be planted at this time of year - all of which are extremely hardy and survive temperatures ranging from minus 15 C to - 25 C and more

Rudbeckia
Anemone
Alstroemeria
Campanula
Hemerocallis
Gaillardia
Helleborus
Euphorbia
Liatris
Veronica

as well as many winter flowering bulbs, grasses, heathers and hardy alpines like Lewisia

Lewisia - Columbiana .jpg

which are worthy of place in anyone's garden and come in many, many colors too :)

Ask a Question