Hardening Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I've read that you have to introduce your plants to outside climate slowly to get them hardened. However, my wife and I left the house around 7 AM, and we don't get back home until 5 or 6. It is kind of difficult to get the plants hardened. Should I leave them outside during the day and bring them inside in the evening? Also, should I start bringing them outside as so as they germinate, or should I wait until their first true leave?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've read that you have to introduce your plants to outside climate slowly to get them hardened. However, my wife and I left the house around 7 AM, and we don't get back home until 5 or 6. It is kind of difficult to get the plants hardened. Should I leave them outside during the day and bring them inside in the evening? Also, should I start bringing them outside as so as they germinate, or should I wait until their first true leave?
Start hardening them off when they have a MINIMUM of one set of true leaves. Two is better. In your climate keep them out of the direct afternoon sun as much as possible. I am in south Texas and I have just moved my fall tomatoes outside to harden off. They get full morning sun and dappled sun in the afternoon. If you can't do this just leave them outside in a partially shaded area until they are big enough to not care

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I don't have a section around my house that has enough shade to put them. They have to stay in my garage, or they have to be in the back yard where they get most of the sun in the afternoon. I could put them in front of my house, but they would get full sunlight u until about 1 or 2.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't have a section around my house that has enough shade to put them. They have to stay in my garage, or they have to be in the back yard where they get most of the sun in the afternoon. I could put them in front of my house, but they would get full sunlight u until about 1 or 2.
In the front of the house would be perfect. Morning sun is the best and they would be shaded in the hot afternoons

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I'll put my new plants in the front yard before I leave for work. I noticed that my plants Usually start strong, but a week later they'll get so weak that they fall off and die. Is it because they are not hardened properly?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
The plants are getting talking and start leaning on the side. Does that mean it's time to start hardened them?

image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They need MUCH MORE LIGHT. Put them out in the morning sun as they are getting what is known as leggy which will lead to a weak plant.
I'll put my new plants in the front yard before I leave for work. I noticed that my plants Usually start strong, but a week later they'll get so weak that they fall off and die. Is it because they are not hardened properly?
When they fall over and die is the stem at ground level shrunken or flattened?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They are flatten and turned brownish. Then, the plants will eventually die.
I was afraid of that. What your plants are dying from is called Damping Off. It is caused by a harmful fungus in the soil and only affects seeds and seedlings. I am an organic gardener and do not use chemicals which are iffy at best in this situation. Here is the best thing to do. Purchase a good quality STERILE potting soil or seed starting mix. Do not use any of your garden soil, compost or the soil you have started your seeds in before. Sterilize any container that has been previously used. Fill the container about 7/8 full of the potting soil and completely saturate it and let it drain for a minute or two and then place your seed or seeds on the top and cover them up with about 1/8 inch of potting soil on top and cover with clear plastic. Keep them in a very warm place until they sprout. As soon as they sprout remove the plastic and move them outside so as to give them morning sunlight and reduced sunlight in the hot afternoon. As soon as they grow their first set of true leaves start giving them more sunlight. Never water from the top, always from the bottom. Fungal spores of the damping off fungi can be wind delivered to your new seedlings. To make sure this doesn't happen sprinkle ground cinnamon around the base of the plants and with a mixture of 1/2 oz of 3% hydrogen peroxide plus 1 heaping teaspoon of ground cinnamon per quart of water mist the plants daily until they have 3 sets of true leaves at which time they should be mature enough that the fungus will not affect them and it will be time to set the plants out into the garden.

You can try to save the seedlings you have growing now by using the cinnamon/hydrogen peroxide method but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

In your climate put the plants out in the morning sun as soon as they sprout. It is imperative that they grow quickly and leaving them inside under artificial light or indirect sunlight will hinder rapid growth making them leggy and weak

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thank you. I had no idea. I am using natures care organic soil. I'll head to the store this evening and find some seeding soil. This is very good information, thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you. I had no idea. I am using natures care organic soil. I'll head to the store this evening and find some seeding soil. This is very good information, thank you.
You can also sterilize the soil by baking it in your oven @ 180 for 30 minutes.

The Natures Care Organic will be fine if you want to transplant into it. Damping Off only affects young seedlings

Ask a Question