Hardening off plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
We finally have decent weather in the Forecast, I'm going to start hardening off my plants tomorrow.
This is the first year I grow plants from seeds. (On shelves with lights) I'm impressed with what I was able to accomplish.

Do I just start them outside a few hours a day then bring them in at night? This is actually the first time i take them out of the room they grew in and away from lights.
What's the hardening process, any advice at all would be appreciated.

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0464.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Basically yes, backwards and forwards, especially if a cold night is forecast.

And gradually leave them out longer, then against a sheltered wall, 2 weeks or so of this and they should be ok.

Good looking selection there

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
I see a lot of gardeners over think this step and some take it to the extreme which hinders yields. Personally I'll harden off if I can, it's not entirely necessary tho.

Reaction score
It is necessary, you can't take a tender plant and just plonk it outdoors.

It sets it back, that is why you gradually toughen it up.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Running your hands over them helps toughen them up, simulates the wind :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
That all looks fantastic! You did a great job, that is a lot of work.

I'd be interested to hear about your growing everything. Where, when, how much light, how much water, - how did you water them, your soil mix. Whats the out door temp vs. in door temp? I plant similarly in size and volume in a small outdoor greenhouse and have the benefit of mild weather and plenty of sun shine. Growing a lot of plants from seeds at one time is not easy.

Also what is all that? Some beans or peas and what looks like lupine, but I don't think so.

Speaking from experience, that is a lot to move in and out. For me hardening is mostly just leaving the roof vents open, after that out they go. I looked and Toronto looks like 1/4 -1/2 day's outside to start?

Peat Pots :eek: Just joking.
It's personal. Peat pots and I don't seem to always work together?

So more about how you did it and what all it is?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I usually transfer mine from the greenhouse to the area under the front verandah to let them get used to wind and such.
Couple of days seems to work ok.
Depending on conditions.

Jan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You must have a big garden Lynn, those lupins grow huge when mature. I expect by now they are all planted out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
You must have a big garden Lynn, those lupins grow huge when mature. I expect by now they are all planted out.
I have a big enough eared for the lupins, I've grown them to plant between us and the neighbours at the cottage to create sort of a separation. But I just heard they only flower every second year?
I will be planting them this weekend:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
That all looks fantastic! You did a great job, that is a lot of work.

I'd be interested to hear about your growing everything. Where, when, how much light, how much water, - how did you water them, your soil mix. Whats the out door temp vs. in door temp? I plant similarly in size and volume in a small outdoor greenhouse and have the benefit of mild weather and plenty of sun shine. Growing a lot of plants from seeds at one time is not easy.

Also what is all that? Some beans or peas and what looks like lupine, but I don't think so.

Speaking from experience, that is a lot to move in and out. For me hardening is mostly just leaving the roof vents open, after that out they go. I looked and Toronto looks like 1/4 -1/2 day's outside to start?

Peat Pots :eek: Just joking.
It's personal. Peat pots and I don't seem to always work together?

So more about how you did it and what all it is?

I grew them in a basement, I have a big room/ closet. I set up shelves, Fluorecent lights, and at first I had a heater going. I had fan blowing on them and lights on them from 7pm to 10 am until I started to harden them off. I used those little peat pellets to start them off and then transplanted them with an organic I thunk miracle grow soil. When they were seedlings until they spouted, I watered them with a sprayer (one of those pump things) and then I started to water them from the bottom.
I would love an actual greenhouse next year.
Most of these are annuals, petunias , aster, rudbeckia, lobelia, impatience. What looks like beans is morning glory, sweet pea.

I had read the lupines didn't like much root disturbance so I decided in the peat pot. They are fragile lol.

They are officially hardened off :) this was my first time ever, I onky lost a total of 10 plants during this entire process from start to finish.

Ask a Question