Hard Soil frustrations

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I live in North Texas. I am having some real issues with hard soil. I am using a mixture of Cow Manure Compost, with a Potting mix. I'm from connecticut I never had any issues with hard soil. I am going to guess its because of the Clay down here and possibly the hot sun? Is there something that I can mix in to soften this up? I literally almost have to over water it to keep it reasonable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, I live in North Texas. I am having some real issues with hard soil. I am using a mixture of Cow Manure Compost, with a Potting mix. I'm from connecticut I never had any issues with hard soil. I am going to guess its because of the Clay down here and possibly the hot sun? Is there something that I can mix in to soften this up? I literally almost have to over water it to keep it reasonable.
It takes awhile but Medina Soil Activator works wonders. Other than that all you can do is add copious amounts of composted organic matter. Incorporate leaves, hay, grass clippings etc. It takes time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So they don't make some sort of magical Organic Matter mix that I can go buy? I'm more of a instant fix kind of guy...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Is 1/3 potting mix 1/3 Peralight 1/3 Moss still the preferred seedling mix?

I started all my seedlings in straight vermiculite, then transplanted to regular Lowes brand of potting mix once the first set of leaves opened up.
I have several tomatoes, peppers and lots of herbs all done this way, plus butterfly weed and coneflower.
This was my first attempt at seed starting, so I don't have anything to compare the results with... but everything is coming along fantastic so far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is 1/3 potting mix 1/3 Peralight 1/3 Moss still the preferred seedling mix?
I wouldn't say the preferred mix but it is a good mix. Personally I use my own well sifted and thouroughly composted compost with a small amount of mycorrhizae fungi.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have heavy clay soil. I incorporated horse manure into the soil every autumn or winter, using a fork.. It's rather therapeutic.. I've never had a lot of money.. As they say, incorporate leaves, horse manure which is usually free and some home made compost.. You can even burn down wood and incorporate them into the soil.. (I can't do this here as it is too built up, but if you live in a rural area, you can keep some for the wildlife and burn some.. or rot them naturally, which is a better option for the environment.) I did it every year for the past 5 years and now the soil is much better.. You could buy grit as well as perlite is very expensive compared with grit..

Clay requires a bit of well, but as a planting medium, it's far superior to sand .. as it holds a lot of nutrients..

Reaction score
Country
United States
What if I were to say buy soil from my home in Connecticut? I never had any hardness issues with soil from CT. Would the weather in Texas turn it hard? Its a completely different mixture, it has all of the leaves and break downs you guys are talking about because CT has so much foliage.

-Also I did go out and get Perlite, and Moss to add to a Garden Soil/Cow Manure mix and it does seem MUCH better, I'll see what the sun and conditions do to it this week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What if I were to say buy soil from my home in Connecticut? I never had any hardness issues with soil from CT. Would the weather in Texas turn it hard? Its a completely different mixture, it has all of the leaves and break downs you guys are talking about because CT has so much foliage.

-Also I did go out and get Perlite, and Moss to add to a Garden Soil/Cow Manure mix and it does seem MUCH better, I'll see what the sun and conditions do to it this week.
The Texas heat is what turns the soil hard in Texas. Clay, when heated turns hard because the heat removes the moisture. When there is enough organic matter in the clay to loosen it up the moisture is absorbed by the organic matter and the soil stays workable. BTW, it is still cool in Texas with the highs in the 80's. If you are of the opinion that this is hot weather I feel as though I must disabuse you of that opinion. You can't judge anything about soil tilth when it is still cool. The soil temps now are in the high 60's and low 70's. In the summer the soil temps will be in the 90's to low 100's and to keep moisture in the soil, soil that is rich in organic matter, you must mulch. The soil will still be workable but dry

Reaction score
Country
United States
So once it does get that hot, how many times a day should I be watering? or could I do a drip system? I work from home but would rather not be walking out there like 10 times a day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So once it does get that hot, how many times a day should I be watering? or could I do a drip system? I work from home but would rather not be walking out there like 10 times a day.
I usually water every 7-10 days on a drip system, but my soil has a lot of organic matter in it. And some plants need more water than others so there is no timeline as when to water. You will soon be able to tell a day or two before you need to water a certain type of plant by the way it droops in the mornings.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first introduction to mycorrhizae fungi and i'd like to give it a try so i will be researching possible vendors
Is it in most root grow products?
Rootgrow is a trade name, Chuck.
I haven't seen any Rootgrow products which aren't myco-based.
In terms of veg growing, I have found that some receive far more benefit from Mycorrhizal fungi than others, notably potatoes and onions.

Ask a Question