Hard Lessons Learned - Landscaping Contractors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
Over the last two years we have spent at least $8K with two separate landscaping contractors. With both landscapers we learned that regardless of the plants listed for the jobs we actually received whatever the contractor could most easily get from his wholeseller. Some promised perennials were actually annuals. Some plants were as promised. Others completely opposite from what was specified. I won't even go into other issues. Being average homeowners we only discovered each landscapers plant substitutions after the fact. The first contractor disappeared but I was able to file a bad review with his primary reference. The second landscaper is an independent contractor for a nursery. It was our assumption the specified plants would come from that nursery. Such was not the case. Recourse is futile. From now on any new plants will be purchased by us then planted by labor of our choice. Wish I was physically able to do the work myself like in years past.

I hope this post helps others to avoid our mistakes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Over the last two years we have spent at least $8K with two separate landscaping contractors. With both landscapers we learned that regardless of the plants listed for the jobs we actually received whatever the contractor could most easily get from his wholeseller. Some promised perennials were actually annuals. Some plants were as promised. Others completely opposite from what was specified. I won't even go into other issues. Being average homeowners we only discovered each landscapers plant substitutions after the fact. The first contractor disappeared but I was able to file a bad review with his primary reference. The second landscaper is an independent contractor for a nursery. It was our assumption the specified plants would come from that nursery. Such was not the case. Recourse is futile. From now on any new plants will be purchased by us then planted by labor of our choice. Wish I was physically able to do the work myself like in years past.

I hope this post helps others to avoid our mistakes.
Yep, one has to be careful and make sure of who you are dealing with in contracting "landscapers". Same thing with arborists coming around misleading folks about pruning their trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Years ago a contactor friend of mine told me that with some of these outfits, the accent is placed on the CON part of contractor.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Such a shame Big Lou. I've heard similar stories and I just find it ridiculous that they can't do their job correctly, especially something as simple as getting the correct plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
I believe it was as simple as "I'll give you a plan to approve then get what is most convenient for me when I go buy the plants."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
That's terrible. I don't understand how these people sleep at night.

I have a small business and I have never broken a promise or missed a delivery date. I guess that's why I'm still busy and I don't advertise. Strictly word of mouth.

Word of mouth is also the best way to spread the real deal about this contractor and maybe help save someone else from these bait and switch artists.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I even have some issues with florists. If I order a gift basket that I see on the website, I would expect to get the flowers featured in the arrangement, but sometimes they substitute the flowers and the whole basket gets thrown off.

As far as the landscaping goes, you should just buy your own flowers and then pay the labor to have them planted for you. I have found that with most landscaping companies, all you have to do is put a logo on the side of your vehicle and you are magically a landscaper!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have done landscaping and I know exactly what your problem is. They go for plants that show colour in a short period of time and with the same speed they disappear. The client goes ga ga over it only to be saddened when the plants die. Here the trick is to plant portulaca which has a riot of colour.

There are choices and the client should be fully involved with the purchase.

Ask a Question