Happy Canada Day!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Today Canada is celebrating its 151st birthday, so Happy Canada Day to all our lovely neighbors to the north. We've already celebrated Cinco de Mayo with our southern neighbors. This is such a festive time of year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
My rare Canada Lilies are blooming for Canada Day.
IMG_4737.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am confused. Why would Trudeau need to sign a trade deal with England. is not Canada part of England?

:eek:! Canada is a country in its own right and is part of the Commonwealth. It's not part of England. It's like the US, used to be a colony, but the US staged war and is an independent country. Canada recognise the UK as head of the Commonwealth which binds quite a few countries together.

@johnny canoe might be in a better position to explain the relationship for you. Post Brexit, the UK is allowed by the EU to negotiate trade deals with various countries.

By the way, the UK is a model pupil in the EU and we pay for all our commitments to the EU and abide by its legislations. If I were a paying member and got treated or humiliated like this, I would take my dough and do something worthwhile. We are the 2nd largest paying nation in the EU, after Germany!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Just to explain Canada. When the Queen signed Canada's constitution in 1981 or 82? Our ties to the British government were forever cut. Now that's the UK government, we are still tied to the British monarch and royal family. Her office as Queen of Canada is written into our constitution and cannot be changed without consent of all Canadian provinces. So in short, we do trade deals, Canada is not tied up with the UK government but the Queen is Queen of Canada and she's the big cheese here. Lawfully she can fire our PM and shut down the government at any time, she wouldn't unless there was a unimaginable crisis situation.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just to explain Canada. When the Queen signed Canada's constitution in 1981 or 82? Our ties to the British government were forever cut. Now that's the UK government, we are still tied to the British monarch and royal family. Her office as Queen of Canada is written into our constitution and cannot be changed without consent of all Canadian provinces. So in short, we do trade deals, Canada is not tied up with the UK government but the Queen is Queen of Canada and she's the big cheese here. Lawfully she can fire our PM and shut down the government at any time, she wouldn't unless there was a unimaginable crisis situation.

Glad to know, @johnny canoe !

Ask a Question