Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey! Thanks for reading :)

I have this habanero plant that I've been growing all season. It's now really starting to bloom and producing a LOT of fruit. I have about 50-60 peppers on this plant which are very visible, and lots more that are tiny and still developing it's flower.

My question though, "is this too much fruit"? It seems too good to be true to get 50-60 peppers off of this little thing. Will the plant drop the fruit automatically?

I'd like to leave all of the fruit on if possible -- I don't care for fruit size, I will probably trash it or give it away. I hate eating peppers, love growing them.

Here are some photos :)

Attachments

• 20160919_080726.jpg
    20160919_080726.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 267
  • 20160919_080722.jpg
    20160919_080722.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 254
  • 20160919_080702.jpg
    20160919_080702.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 254
  • 20160919_080651.jpg
    20160919_080651.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 256
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A habenero will produce a LOT of peppers if they have a large enough container. If they don't have a large container they will abort most of them.

Great! Exactly the response I was hoping for ! :) No extra work on my hand, I'll just let it abort what's needed.

One other thing, do you think we have enough time left before winter here in Texas for the fruit to ripen? It's about 2-3 weeks already into fruiting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Great! Exactly the response I was hoping for ! :) No extra work on my hand, I'll just let it abort what's needed.

One other thing, do you think we have enough time left before winter here in Texas for the fruit to ripen? It's about 2-3 weeks already into fruiting.
Our first frost is normally in mid-November so that gives us about 2 months, plenty of time. My peppers are producing like crazy now since it has cooled off a little. If we have an early frost all we can do is pick them green

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Our first frost is normally in mid-November so that gives us about 2 months, plenty of time. My peppers are producing like crazy now since it has cooled off a little. If we have an early frost all we can do is pick them green

It's great having someone who is from the same area that is very knowledgeable ! Thanks for your help as usual Chuck! :)

Since my Peppers grow in both soil and hydroponics, I've easily upgraded the pot size. The part of the root which sits in nutrient water has been put into a much taller pot, so, hopefully the roots can grow a bit more and support more fruit -- but I assume it's too late for that :p

Nonetheless, this much appreciated. Take care! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Actually one more thing! Can I just over-winter peppers inside? I love this pepper plant in particular because it's growing so well.... ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Actually one more thing! Can I just over-winter peppers inside? I love this pepper plant in particular because it's growing so well.... ?
Yes but next year the plant will not produce near as much. The only real perennial pepper I know of is the chili petin and it will last for years if it doesn't get its roots frozen. In Houston I had one that was a small tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes but next year the plant will not produce near as much. The only real perennial pepper I know of is the chili petin and it will last for years if it doesn't get its roots frozen. In Houston I had one that was a small tree

Oh ok so then no point in keeping. ^_^ Thanks. Have a great day, Chuck!

Ask a Question