Gynerium sagittatum / Uva grass / Caña Flecha?

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get and grow Caña Flecha?

I'm an avid archer, and I love making my own bows, arrows, etc. For the bows I like osage, hickory, ipe, palmwood... for the arrows I like reeds/canes, especially caña flecha. As its Spanish name suggests, caña flecha (or Uva grass) is amazing arrow shaft material. It is commonly used for this by indigenous peoples from Mexico all the way down to lower South America. I love the long amazonian arrows. They're also used in weaving - famously in Colombia to make sombrero vueltiao. I've read it's sometimes ornamental.. ?

It can grow pretty tall, and can spread rapidly under the right conditions... would it be best to get a giant tub, fill it with mud, dirt, sand, and water to emulate the right substrate and grow it that way? I'm interested in growing a big patch of this cane so I can replenish my arrows every time they break or are lost.

How can I get ahold of this reed, save going down to South America and getting some there? Do we have any members here in C/S.America or Puerto Rico? Are there any ornamental reed/cane suppliers? Would I get a cutting of it or seeds?

Thanks for any and all advice ya'll can give. I appreciate it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does anyone know how to get and grow Caña Flecha?

I'm an avid archer, and I love making my own bows, arrows, etc. For the bows I like osage, hickory, ipe, palmwood... for the arrows I like reeds/canes, especially caña flecha. As its Spanish name suggests, caña flecha (or Uva grass) is amazing arrow shaft material. It is commonly used for this by indigenous peoples from Mexico all the way down to lower South America. I love the long amazonian arrows. They're also used in weaving - famously in Colombia to make sombrero vueltiao. I've read it's sometimes ornamental.. ?

It can grow pretty tall, and can spread rapidly under the right conditions... would it be best to get a giant tub, fill it with mud, dirt, sand, and water to emulate the right substrate and grow it that way? I'm interested in growing a big patch of this cane so I can replenish my arrows every time they break or are lost.

How can I get ahold of this reed, save going down to South America and getting some there? Do we have any members here in C/S.America or Puerto Rico? Are there any ornamental reed/cane suppliers? Would I get a cutting of it or seeds?

Thanks for any and all advice ya'll can give. I appreciate it.
You may have a difficult time entering the country with US Customs with plants. Why not just plant seeds you can buy here? www.rarepalmseeds.com

Reaction score
Thanks for the link!

I still need to figure out the best way to go about growing it though... anyone have experience growing tropical reeds/canes in temperate climates?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the link
I still need to figure out the best way to go about growing it though... anyone have experience growing tropical reeds/canes in temperate climates?
I would imagine it is like bamboo once it sprouts
Thanks for the link!

First you have to scarify the seeds, let them soak an hour or two and then plant in moist fertile soil. Ask you nursery person how to plant canna lily seeds. It's the same process

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alba

Latest Threads