Gymea Lily

Reaction score
Country
Australia
735E3088-F875-4E5D-96E5-4A1DD89F4849.jpeg

Hi. I have had this gymea in the garden for over 10 years. It has never flowered.
In the last week it has had a flurry of growth in the centre. Does anybody know if this is the start of a flower? Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It looks just like an agave getting ready to do its flowering thing so I would think that's what its doing. What I've read says that smoke/fire stimulates blooming so that could be why it hadn't bloomed before. I'm jealous you can grow it so easily there, I'm in inland southern California and it gets a little cool for them here. I also don't have enough room, but that doesn't always stop me!;)
Happy plant parenting!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I grow both species of Doryanthes in my garden: Gymea Lily (D. excelsa) and Palmer's Spear Lily (D. palmeri). Neither has flowered for me yet, but even their large and imposing foliage is reward enough.
It is also wonderful how the leaves closely mimic those of some of my Furcraea and Beschorneria, particularly Furcraea foetida, despite being quite separate both genetically and geographically. I enjoy repetition in garden design better when it is pseudo-repetition.
My garden is in USDA Zone 9b, and I've seen no frost damage on either Doryanthes, though it has happened to my Furcraea foetida.

Last edited:

Ask a Question