Gutter gardens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Have you ever heard about gutter gardens? I've just come across some pictures and I must say I'm impressed. I love how they look!:D
What do you think about it? Would you like to have a gutter garden?

GutterGarden1.jpg

gutter-garden1.jpg

GutterGarden-howto9.jpeg

Reaction score
I love this idea! You could section off portion of your yard in a cool new way. Recycling at its best.

Reaction score
I think this idea was discussed in one of Chanell's threads.. But I guess this needs a bit of space too.. I have been asking my husband to fix a pvc pipe for me on the wall to give me more space.. he feels that it would not be a great idea as it would make the wall dirty..We keep checking out different methods to grow more in less.. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
But gutter gardens look so pretty when they're placed on the walls, just look at these pictures, I think it's a great idea:

42909guttergarden1.jpg

IMG_8630.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yes, Maddie, I remember you posting something about these in another thread, though I think they have come up a few times.

Claudine, I think they are ingenious, but I don't like the idea of using pvc. I think I saw one online somewhere that used a chicken feeding trough. I'd be willing to try one of these in galvanized steel, but I would be wary of using aluminum.

Reaction score
This looks like a great space saving idea! I love it. I have an old shed that would be ideal to use as the base.

Chanell, what's wrong with PVC? Is it dangerous?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This looks like a great space saving idea! I love it. I have an old shed that would be ideal to use as the base.

Chanell, what's wrong with PVC? Is it dangerous?

Well, it's plastic and plastics leach chemicals into the soil over time, so I guess in a sense it is dangerous. I just don't want to add any more chemicals to my environment if I can help it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow...for sure it looks unique. It reminds me of slides in aqua parks, it's so funny:p
How about this one:

GutterPonics300.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Claudine, that is one wild looking gutter garden!

@Maddie, that spiral looks like DNA! Where'd you find the photo? It looks like it's made from some kind of fabric. I've been planning on experimenting with heavy canvas in the garden.

Reaction score
@Claudine, that is one wild looking gutter garden!

@Maddie, that spiral looks like DNA! Where'd you find the photo? It looks like it's made from some kind of fabric. I've been planning on experimenting with heavy canvas in the garden.
I really don't remember where I found it, but I only though Claudine might like it :) those colors did make me think of the aqua slides.. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I found more strange looking gutter gardens:D . I'm pretty sure it's not practical at all but it looks so interesting and pretty:

383147522_b1de4d5dbf_z.jpg

15-3-201215-31-989410.jpg

unintended-gutter-garden.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine, that first photo is more of a downspout garden. Like Tmann said, it seems like it would prohibit the water draining properly.

I don't think the second or third one were necessarily intentional. I see stuff like the last one often when people don't clear their rain gutters. That second photo looks like neglect and mother nature taking over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
If I had a house, I'd probably let mother nature take it over too:D . It just looks so pretty when plants grow the way they want and become a little wild. I can't help it, I care more about the beauty than about the water draining properly.
I guess in some ways it's better I don't own a house, lol:p

Ask a Question