Gummy Stem Blight

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well yesterday my canteloupes looked good. These were planted late. Today to my surprise I saw a few vines, not all vines, that the leaves just all of a sudden wilted down. Inspection revealed the water soaked gummy stems. Don't know if I can save the rest of the vines or not but I cut the bad ones off that also had the canteloupes. Poopy. Maybe a hydrogen peroxide spray will kill the rest of the fungus.

I has been very rainy here for the past 2 weeks and that just helped the fungus along. My neighbor had just told me yesterday that he had a watermelon that rotted black so I think he has the same thing going on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well yesterday my canteloupes looked good. These were planted late. Today to my surprise I saw a few vines, not all vines, that the leaves just all of a sudden wilted down. Inspection revealed the water soaked gummy stems. Don't know if I can save the rest of the vines or not but I cut the bad ones off that also had the canteloupes. Poopy. Maybe a hydrogen peroxide spray will kill the rest of the fungus.

I has been very rainy here for the past 2 weeks and that just helped the fungus along. My neighbor had just told me yesterday that he had a watermelon that rotted black so I think he has the same thing going on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I sprayed the plant, 1 quart hydrogen peroxide per gallon, but I did notice another vines leaves wilting so I know I will have to cut that vine off at the very least.

It has always been hard to grow a canteloupe here for some reason. Something always happens to them. The last time which was years ago, they went flat like a basketball goes flat about the time to harvest. The spot they are in now has never been planted or tilled up in at least 30 years so kinda strange how a disease can manifest itself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I sprayed the plant, 1 quart hydrogen peroxide per gallon, but I did notice another vines leaves wilting so I know I will have to cut that vine off at the very least.

It has always been hard to grow a canteloupe here for some reason. Something always happens to them. The last time which was years ago, they went flat like a basketball goes flat about the time to harvest. The spot they are in now has never been planted or tilled up in at least 30 years so kinda strange how a disease can manifest itself.
If this disease is Gummy Stem Disease it is spread by the wind and splashing water. It doesn't really matter if the area has been cultivated or not. Too much rain is worse than not enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I sprayed it again today with the same solution. I think it has killed the fungus, although I've had to cut away several vines with about 4 green canteloupes but things are looking better, time will tell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Haven't had any more gummy stem blight although a few of the leaves look a bit ragged. The canteloupe is recovering. I call it a success.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Update: Although the gummy stem blight seems to be gone there is still another problem with the canteloupes. Not sure if it is the same disease or not but about close till time for the fruit to change colors, the vines and leaves just wilt and brown. It appears to be only the one vine connected to that canteloupe.

Ask a Question