Guava

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Ever since my grandmother bought our land, our family had a guava tree. We really love this plant because it is very easy to grow, and it has many health benefits. Some of its health benefits include:

1. Treatment of various diseases (cough, diarrhea, high blood pressure, etc.)
2. Antiseptic (Boil the leaves and pour the "juice" on the wound)
3. Cancer prevention
4. Diabetes maintenance

The guava fruit is very rich in Vitamin C, too! When I have a cold, I just eat one fruit, and I feel instantly better. If you have an extra space in your garden or backyard, make sure that you will plant a guava tree! ;)

Reaction score
Awesome, yet more reasons to eat guava. Sadly I really dislike those little seeds the guava has, but I guess I could try doing something different with them. My mother loves them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds like a really great fruit. I want to try it! Unfortunately, I've never seen it in stores in my area:( I once bought myself a guava drink. As far as I remember, it was quite tasty.

Reaction score
I really need to get guava because of the health benefits and the fact that I enjoy eating fruit. Some other time it will be nice to try growing a guava tree outside. The next time I go to the grocery store I'll check them out and maybe even buy one.

JoshPosh

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
I grew up in Hawaii and we hike up into the mountains and our lunch would be guavas. I'm just wondering, how would you grow a new plant? Would you just grab one of the fuits and bury it in the ground? Do you have to wait til the are at a certain color to do so? I m interested now. Free food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I grew up in Hawaii and we hike up into the mountains and our lunch would be guavas. I'm just wondering, how would you grow a new plant? Would you just grab one of the fuits and bury it in the ground? Do you have to wait til the are at a certain color to do so? I m interested now. Free food.

I actually have no idea how this one grew. My theory has always been about bats. We didn't plant this, so perhaps, a bat got it somewhere and "pooped" the seeds. A bird could have done the same thing.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I love guavas especially when I was a kid. One day I eat an awful lot of guavas and that made my poop so hard it won't come out. I remember I cried a lot that day and promised I won't eat guavas anymore. But I can't help it, once I see guavas on the market, I'll be sure to buy some. I like the small ones better than the big ones. They taste sweeter to me.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've only had guava in juices and have never tried the actual fruit before. It sounds like a great fruit to eat as is. Has anyone had experience using guava in cooking? If it's anything like an apple, I'm wondering how it tastes in pie!

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I've only had guava in juices and have never tried the actual fruit before. It sounds like a great fruit to eat as is. Has anyone had experience using guava in cooking? If it's anything like an apple, I'm wondering how it tastes in pie!

We also use guava in our cooking. It taste good in pork cooked in guava soup. But I am not sure if you can use it in making pies.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We also use guava in our cooking. It taste good in pork cooked in guava soup. But I am not sure if you can use it in making pies.

Thanks for your reply! Guava soup sounds like an interesting way to use the fruit. I'm guessing it is not only sweet but also has some savory flavors as well?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Thanks for your reply! Guava soup sounds like an interesting way to use the fruit. I'm guessing it is not only sweet but also has some savory flavors as well?

It taste a bit sour when cooked but it's very tasty and delicious. Other also make it as guava jam and guava candy. You just have to add more sugar to make it sweet.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
There used to be one in our old neighborhood and we used to pick some and eat them in our leisure though I did not know of its benefits. Glad to know it here because honestly, I wasn't curious of it back then.

Ask a Question