Guava tree in North Texas

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Dallas TX, and would like to grow and want to grow a guava tree in my backyard. I want to buy a “Ruby Red” guava tree (3-4 feet tall).

Questions:

1) Would this guava variety grow well in the Dallas TX weather?
2) is there a “Good time- bad time” for planting this tree?
3) Any other factors I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your replies!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in Dallas TX, and would like to grow and want to grow a guava tree in my backyard. I want to buy a “Ruby Red” guava tree (3-4 feet tall).

Questions:

1) Would this guava variety grow well in the Dallas TX weather?
2) is there a “Good time- bad time” for planting this tree?
3) Any other factors I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your replies!!
Guava trees are sensitive to the cold, young trees very sensitive. It is extremely doubtful a Guava would survive in the Dallas area outside.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Guava trees are sensitive to the cold, young trees very sensitive. It is extremely doubtful a Guava would survive in the Dallas area outside.
Can I grow the tree in a pot till they grow big enough to withstand cold? At that point I can transplant it in my backyard.

The coldest it usually gets is -bout 35-42 degrees in winter. Thanks !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can I grow the tree in a pot till they grow big enough to withstand cold? At that point I can transplant it in my backyard.

The coldest it usually gets is -bout 35-42 degrees in winter. Thanks !
I live in Tarpley Texas which is over 200 miles south of you and it gets much colder than 32F here many many times during fall and winter. You are forecasted to have a low of 10F this coming Thursday and stay in the teens and 20's until Saturday when the high will be 32F. And winter hasn't even started yet. And this has been a mild fall too. You will not be able to grow a guava anywhere in Texas with the exception of the Corpus Christi/Brownsville area and that is iffy. A guava tree is a TROPICAL plant and Dallas has a far from tropical climate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in bee county , i am abiut 45ish miles southwest of corpus.A&M said it is possible to grow in bee county.Although they did say it is the northern most county where it would be possible

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in bee county , i am abiut 45ish miles southwest of corpus.A&M said it is possible to grow in bee county.Although they did say it is the northern most county where it would be possible
If you will be able to bring it inside when cold weather threatens you can.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I think you have a darn good chance of pulling it off there. It's just those freakish polar vortex storms that occasionally (not necessarily every year) come roaring down from the North and give us abnormally cold air for short periods. Like Chuck said, for those rare events, you may be forced to move it inside.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It really is those years,I meant to say A&M said i can pull it off in the ground.Right now its in a pot with 6 or so guavas on it and about 8feet tall with the pot

Ask a Question