Growth Lights

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I once considered changing all the lights in my home to growth lights. The reason was I wanted to grow a bunch of plants throughout my home and I wanted them to get plenty of good light without having to leave my windows open all day. I have a mild allergy to the sun and so I tend to keep my shades down. Would that be a good idea?

Reaction score
I honestly don't see why not, plus if it doesn't work for you you can always go back to your old ones ;) No damage done, no perm changes, no anything ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
LOL I don't think I have any danger of that. I have been 5'7 since I was 15 then when I went to the doc's two years ago it was discovered that I lost a 1 and a half. I am now 5'5 1/2. So I'm already shrinking, growth lights would just help me maintain my height I think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I am amused of that growth lights. I have to admit that I am ignorant of such because all I know is that plants need sunlight. So if that growth light can supply the plants the needed vitamin D of sunlight then I guess that would be good for those wishing to have indoor plants permanently (we put out our indoor plants at least once a week for sunning).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
You're not alone, @Corzhens All I know is that plants require natural light. I've only heard about the growth lights here in the forum, maybe because growth lights are not common here in our country? I'm not sure since I am just a newbie.

I think it's a good idea. Maybe you could try installing in one room first just to see if there'll be any changes with the indoor plants before changing all the lights?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I'm not a scientist or a doctor, but grow lights are Fluroescent, LED or HPS and if it's on your ceiling it'll have to be an HPS light because LED and Fluorescent are far too week. You're looking at 400-800 Watts per HPS bulb (depending on size). Also, it's important to note that LED Grow lights are very different from normal LED ceiling lights. I don't think it's a good idea.

Ask a Question