Reaction score
Country
India
IMG_20211221_230317.jpg

Caterpillar attached to a pot:giggle:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the photo and the information. What beautiful butterflies and chrysalises. I just read about them.
Painted Jezabel (Delias hyparete) and Common Jezabel (Delias eucharis) in the Family Pieridae.
They are found in southern and southeastern Asia and their larval food plants are Mistletoes in the genus Loranthus.

Nili

Leaf enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
India
Thank you for the photo and the information. What beautiful butterflies and chrysalises. I just read about them.
Painted Jezabel (Delias hyparete) and Common Jezabel (Delias eucharis) in the Family Pieridae.
They are found in southern and southeastern Asia and their larval food plants are Mistletoes in the genus Loranthus.
True:D

Reaction score
Country
United States
So these are the Common Jezabel (Delias eucharis). Very nice indeed.

I also have a variety of butterflies that visit my garden. The variety I see most often is the Gulf Fritillary (Agraulis vanillae) that breeds throughout much of the year on my Passionflower (Passiflora) vines.
Despite the common name of Gulf Fritillary, Agraulis is among the Longwings of the tribe Heliconiini, rather than the 'true' Fritillaries of the tribe Argynnini.

Nili

Leaf enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
India
So these are the Common Jezabel (Delias eucharis). Very nice indeed.

I also have a variety of butterflies that visit my garden. The variety I see most often is the Gulf Fritillary (Agraulis vanillae) that breeds throughout much of the year on my Passionflower (Passiflora) vines.
Despite the common name of Gulf Fritillary, Agraulis is among the Longwings of the tribe Heliconiini, rather than the 'true' Fritillaries of the tribe Argynnini.
That's nice @Marck! Look two caught on camera loitering around the garden.
20201230_110849.jpg
20220117_175027.jpg

Soon more are to come... Mango season starts. Found these beauties on our Jasmine vines.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How beautiful.

The first is a Common Banded Peacock (Papilio crino), a Swallowtail (Papilionidae) native to India and Sri Lanka. Like some other Swallowtails, its larval food plants are in the Rue Family (Rutaceae), particularly the native tree, Satinwood (Chloroxylon swietenia). However Citrus trees are also utilized.

The second is the Common Mormon Swallowtail (Papilio polytes), probably a male, though some females will look like males.
It also uses numerous species in the Rue Family (Rutaceae) as larval food plants, including Aegle, Citrus, Murraya, etc.

Nili

Leaf enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
India
How beautiful.

The first is a Common Banded Peacock (Papilio crino), a Swallowtail (Papilionidae) native to India and Sri Lanka. Like some other Swallowtails, its larval food plants are in the Rue Family (Rutaceae), particularly the native tree, Satinwood (Chloroxylon swietenia). However Citrus trees are also utilized.

The second is the Common Mormon Swallowtail (Papilio polytes), probably a male, though some females will look like males.
It also uses numerous species in the Rue Family (Rutaceae) as larval food plants, including Aegle, Citrus, Murraya, etc.
Oh my! You really hold on to scientific temper . I truly appreciate that.

Ask a Question