Growing Trees to Replant Elsewhere?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a environmental studies major and I am really big into protecting the environment. I have always loved trees and don't understand why most people don't. I currently live in an apartment, which gets me down sometimes because I feel so disjointed from nature, and I am thinking about basically starting a little tree nursery on my balcony. I want to start growing a bunch of little trees and when they get to a good size go replant them in different locations. Such as with some other trees along the highway. What do you all think about this idea?

Reaction score
It's a great idea :) I think its nice you try to help as much as you can, specially given your current circumstance. Kudos to you and best luck with that project of yours :) I wish you great success!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also wish you success in your project. I think we need to replant as we cut down trees that are needed to avoid soil ersion and to keep the air clean.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
There are special "sleeves" for planting trees' seeds or cuttings. The sleeves are basically long and narrow--long to accommodate the tap root, and narrow, to encourage deep rooting and fewer side roots (which the tree will develop when planted out).
When you do get your seedlings to the point that they can leave home, make sure you get permission to plant, and get specific instructions as to where. Roadside mowers know the spots to avoid, but if trees are planted randomly, they will get mowed down. Parks are a great place to "reforest" because there is less maintenance off-trail, and park workers are sensitive to plants, especially if newly planted trees are marked in some way (crime scene tape is great--deters tree thieves!).
My opinion, most people do love trees:love:.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is a wonderful idea!:D I'd do it too if I had a balcony. All trees are beautiful and very dear to me. I simply can't imagine my life without them!

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are special "sleeves" for planting trees' seeds or cuttings. The sleeves are basically long and narrow--long to accommodate the tap root, and narrow, to encourage deep rooting and fewer side roots (which the tree will develop when planted out).
When you do get your seedlings to the point that they can leave home, make sure you get permission to plant, and get specific instructions as to where. Roadside mowers know the spots to avoid, but if trees are planted randomly, they will get mowed down. Parks are a great place to "reforest" because there is less maintenance off-trail, and park workers are sensitive to plants, especially if newly planted trees are marked in some way (crime scene tape is great--deters tree thieves!).
My opinion, most people do love trees:love:.

Thanks for all that great advice Marlingardener!! I am defiantly going to do the sleeve idea! Do you think like toilet paper roll would work as a good sleeve? I hadn't planned on contacting anyone about planting and just do a random good act so the park idea is awesome! I think I am also going to mark the sapling probably with ribbon, and maybe attach a little tag with information and a heart touching quote about doing good. :) Does anyone have recommendations on what trees I should grow? Or should I just do a bunch of different kinds?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Toilet paper rolls will deteriorate before the tap root grows to a sufficient size. Get the plastic sleeves--if there is a forestry service or county agricultural agent in your vicinity, they should be able to either get you the sleeves, or point you in the right direction to get them.
When you mark the sapling, make sure the marking will withstand the weather, wind, and rain for at least two years. A ribbon will last a couple of weeks. Trees grow slowly, and the marking has to last long enough for the tree to stand on it's own and say "I'm a tree!".
As an environmental studies major, you surely know about native plants. Don't try to put a redwood in Florida, and Silver Maples don't thrive in Texas. Find out what trees are native to your area and plant those. They will have a higher survival rate and be of more benefit to the local wildlife than an "exotic" tree. Natives definitely do better than imported varieties, which may also be invasive. Here in Texas we are trying to eradicate nandina from otherwise native shrub/tree stands.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah, true. For some reason I was thinking the toilet paper rolls would be able to hold up long enough! We do have a forestry service a few hours away at Hoosier National Forest but I can not drive due to a medical disorder so going out there to talk to them, and just get some sleeves is not an option. I will figure out something though, same goes for the marking of the sapling! I might just have to invest in some caution tape!
I forgot when asking "what trees should I plant" that not everyone is here in Indiana! I meant should I do ash or oak, birch or dogwood, and so on and so forth. I think I am just going to do a variety though! I agree that native trees, and plants in general, should always be taken into consideration. Something that over the years has defiantly been an issue because of invasive species. Uninformed and uncaring people see that beautiful plants from where ever and think "oh we need those where I live! Let's start planting a bunch!". I have seen numerous native species suffer at the hands of invasive species, particularly kudzu in southern Indiana.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Call or e-mail the Hoosier National Forest and see if they can mail you some sleeves. If that doesn't work, get one of your professors to request them. Perhaps a field trip there is in order--suggest it to your professors.
http://sites.ipfw.edu/native-trees/NativeTreeListByCommonName-Page1-Test.htm gives a list of native trees for Indiana.
Be prepared to take care of your seedlings for at least two years, and in some cases three or four years. Trees grow slowly, and need to be of sufficient size to make it on their own before being planted out.

Ask a Question