Growing the perfect size cucumber

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a really good harvest last year for my cucumbers. They all were about 12-16 inches long and 2-5 inches wide. They weren't seedy either, so I wonder what kind I brought. This year, I got 2 so far and they were somewhat seedy, but still large. Last year, the cucumbers all grew the same time and re-grew at the same rate. Why is this year so sparse?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in Minnesota. I buy that many at the farmers market, LOL. This is why I wanted to grow my own. Last year was great. I just hope this year will pick up. Is there any secrets to making them huge?

Reaction score
I bought the cucumbers that were the best to play pickles out of, I am not sure what they are called but I have gotten so many, like I can't keep up with eating them. Seems like the longer I leave it on the vine the bigger they get, but the bigger ones turn yellow for some reason. Perhaps this is supposed to happen. I guess you just have to leave them on the vine longer to get them to grow bigger.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I am in Minnesota. I buy that many at the farmers market, LOL. This is why I wanted to grow my own. Last year was great. I just hope this year will pick up. Is there any secrets to making them huge?
Grow them vertically, and grow huge varieties.
Personally, I like to pick mine as soon as the spikes have gone, as they're at their best (in my opinion) at that point.
Seriously, I have over a stone of cucumbers in my fridge right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are many many varieties of cucs but they are normaly divided into to groups, pickling and slicing. You can do both with each although picklers are better for pickling and the slicers better for eating. Most of the slicers have a much darker green skin and grow longer and thinner than the picklers do. They will also stay a little firmer. The picklers have more seeds when mature than do the slicers and they also do not grow as long. A fully mature pickler will top out at about 5 inches long and will turn yellow rapidly when mature. A slicer will grow longer than a pickler before it to will start to turn yellow. Picking cucs when they have the little spikes are the cucs that sweet and sour gerkins are made from. When the spikes are gone but the cuc is still real bumpy is the size used for sweet pickles. When the bumps are gone is when they are the size for hamburger dills and whole sour pickles. The fully mature size are the cucs used for whole dill pickles. Either type of cuc will turn yellow and both are best harvested well before any sign of yellowing shows

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
What are you doing with them all?
I'm eating one a day.
I've been giving them to friends and neighbours, but my friends are starting to avoid me, and I'm expecting the "For Sale" signs to start going up soon.
That's if I don't get an "anti-social behaviour order".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm eating one a day.
I've been giving them to friends and neighbours, but my friends are starting to avoid me, and I'm expecting the "For Sale" signs to start going up soon.
That's if I don't get an "anti-social behaviour order".
I find this phenomenon also applies to squash as well, but rarely is it found in tomatos of which I am sure costly government studies are being performed to determine why.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think a good size cucumber is about 6 inches long. I guess it depends on the type as well. I noticed that when my cucumbers over grow or get too big they have a bitter tastes when I eat them. Does anyone else have this happen to them?

Ask a Question