Growing strawberries from seed.

Reaction score
I am trying to grow strawberries from seed. However, I having problems with the germination process. How long is it suppose to take to germinate strawberry seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am trying to grow strawberries from seed. However, I having problems with the germination process. How long is it suppose to take to germinate strawberry seeds.
They won't germinate at all unless they have been winterized and if you have good seeds between 2 and 3 weeks normally and if they do germinate where you live is also a determining factor

Reaction score
I have never tried that. I have always bought seedlings that already had produced some fruit. In my past experience the plants were often growing quite fast but not producing much fruit in the beginning. Usually they really started to blossom after about a year.

Reaction score
As I have successfully grown all my strawberry plants from seed and know that climate and the variety does have a lot to do with whether or not strawberry seeds will germinate - I think that the main reason why yours are not germinating - is because its not the best time of year to sow strawberry seeds.

Which as strawberry plants are perennials and not annuals and as most perennial seeds are cold germinators - the best time to sow strawberry seeds is in the autumn - so think that you would have much more success if you were to try again later in the year :)

Reaction score
Never actually tried to grow strawberries from seeds, though I usually have better luck with plants when I do grow them from seeds, I am never able to get strawberries to stay alive, they just hate me I guess.

Ask a Question