Growing Sea Buckthorn?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was wondering how I am supposed to grow Sea Buckthorn in the state of Georgia in USDA zone 7a. I follow the instructions ,but it seems like every time I plant them they seem to die out. Is root rot killing them or is it something else?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use standard potting soil. I haven't amended the soil. The packet instructions say that sea buckthorn can grow in standard potting soil. I used soil that is rich in nutrients. I will try using mulch to improve drainage to prevent root rot. I believe that root rot killed my plants. It says on the internet to have well drained soil.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides) Prefers well drained sandy soils. I've seen it growing on sand dunes in England and at over 3500m on barren Himalayan hill sides. I would sow seeds into a mix of sharp sand/grit and potting compost. Once germinated keep on the dry side and no shade. They need little or no fertiliser apart from some phosphate, they fix their own nitrogen.
If you want berries then remember there are male and female plants and it takes some years for flowers to appear. They are wind pollinated

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry to bump a thread, but I'm wondering about sea buckthorn too. Figured I wouldn't waste a new thread.

I'm in zone 6b. Pretty interested in this plant... Anyone else try to grow it here? I think it might be a bit warm for it?

Ask a Question