Growing pumpkins

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is pumpkin harvesting time and it brought up a few questions in my mind as I have never grown them. When do the seeds need to be planted so they can be harvested on time, and how much space do you need to grow them?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would also be interested in knowing what others do to successfully grow pumpkins. I plan on trying it out next year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK, where it's likely to be more difficult, because of the light and shorter summer, this is what I do, and has been successful over the past two years:
I sow one seed per 5 inch pot, on edge, in peat-based compost which has been inoculated with mycorrhizal fungus.
Water well, but not over-generously and put in a warm humid place. (I use heated propagators)
When they germinate, I put them onto a south-facing windowsill for a week, then it's into the frost-free greenhouse, all the while keeping the compost moist but not soaking wet..
Outside, around the time of seed sowing, I prepare the ground by digging out a barrowload of soil, putting a barrowload of well-rotted manure in the hole, and another of seaweed, along with a couple of handsful of fish, blood and bone, and a good handful of woodash. These mounds should be three feet apart either way.
Replace the soil on top to make a mound after mixing in with it a good handful of cornstarch.
Push a two foot length of 3" pipe into the mound, about 45 degrees, halfway in, about halfway between the centre and edge of the mound. It is through this pipe that you water
After hardening off for a week, drench the soil with compost tea & plant out the pumpkins, one plant per mound.
Do not allow to absolutely dry out, and, when flowers appear, pollinate the female (mini fruit behind flower, with males.
When pumpkins swell, support them off ground with tiles or a piece of wood, to stop rotting & add comfrey tea or other organic high potash feed.
They are best ripened on the vine, and for best shape, you can turn them a bit every week.
When the handles come off the plants easily, they are ripe.
Cure the skins outside for a week, weather permitting, then move to a cool, frost-free place for storage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This sounds like a lot of work to grow pumpkins, @headfullofbees :) and I imagine it will need quite a large area for the vine to grow. It is interesting to know how much care going into growing pumpkins though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have no pumpkins so maybe I can relate it with squash. We normally plant squash during the rainy season, now is a good time because the soil is always wet which the squash likes very much. And coinciding with the end of the rainy season is the harvesting of the squash. But one drawback of a wet garden is the presence of pests particularly the yellow ladybug that loves squash leaves.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
This sounds like a lot of work to grow pumpkins, @headfullofbees :) and I imagine it will need quite a large area for the vine to grow. It is interesting to know how much care going into growing pumpkins though.
Nah, it's not bad at all, the work is spread over five months, and you can grow bush types, which are compact. I grew some myself this summer.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I also used to plant squash and they are quite easy to grow. I also like to plant these in my garden because they are my favorite vegetables to eat that are very nutritious and wonderful for the eyesight. I thank the squash is somewhat a relative of the pumpkin which by the way is the plant you were trying to grow and I hope you should know that they favor wet surfaces as what Corzhens explained a while ago. Keep this in mind and put in a lot of TLC to your plants or the tender loving care no matter what kind of plants you have. It always work and have given me bountiful harvests in the past. Good luck to all of us and keep planting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pumpkins take a LOT of space. Three plants can take up an area 20' x 10' or more. I plant them by seeds in mid May and they are ready in the fall. I didn't plant any this year but still have two growing from ones that rotted last year. Squash also take up a lot of space. I have just finished harvesting the last squash but this is what ONE
squash 001.JPG
squash 001.JPG vine looks like. When it is in full growing mode the leaves are much bigger and take up even more space.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That does sound like a lot of work to grow some pumpkins, but I think it would be well worth the effort if I was going to grow the baking kind. When you add up all the weight they can be expensive to buy at the store. Thanks for a very detailed explanation of how to grow them.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Good luck on that Rosyrain. I hope you grow those big and wonderful pumpkins or squash or whatever that is. I still am confused if they are the same or not actually. I better check in the internet for an explanation. What do you think about this? If you have the idea please share them here. I would really appreciate it if you do. Thank you very much in advance guys and more power to all of us.Again, Happy gardening and planting to all of us. Keep it all coming guys.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have never grown pumpkins because of the space requirements and I don't really eat pumpkins. I grow what we eat and flowers.

Ask a Question