Growing out of box blight

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a problem with patches of box blight since we moved in to the new house a year ago - we had to remove all of the box from the front garden (carefully) and then replace it with new little box plants (which should hopefully spring up within a couple of years.

The back garden had so much box that it would be too expensive to replace it all, so we selectively removed the infected ones and replaced them. However, at the beginning of spring it looked like it had appeared in a couple of new spots in the back garden, so I thought I'd try some RoseClear Ultra - as I'd read that the fungicide may help.

Fast forward to 4 treatments over 2 months and it has made a huge difference to the box hedge, enough that there's only 1 bad patch left thanks to all the new growth (although nowhere near as much as unaffected areas). I wouldn't have thought that RoseClear would have made such a difference, but I thought I'd mention it here as it may be worth a try for anyone else suffering from the beginnings of an outbreak.

I found a photo of one of the patches in the front garden (way beyond saving). I wish I'd taken photos of the pre-treated area in the back :oops:.

Attachments

• box-blight.jpg
    box-blight.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 438

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's useful to know Ian, nice one:)