Growing milkweed next to my vegetables?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I’m very into nature and wildlife, and I enjoy watching the monarch butterfly life cycle.

I have a spot right next to my vegetables garden section where I can have 3 pots of milkweed, however from my past experience with milkweed, it attracts aphids like a magnet. I don’t normally get aphids on my plants, but milkweed is something else.

am I shooting myself in the foot if I plant milkweed next to my vegetables?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I think you would be shooting yourself in the foot with milkweed and aphids. Here are six substitutes you a substitute to attract Monarch butterflies.
Zinnia Flowers. Zinnias add multi-bursts of color to your garden with their showy blooms
Agastache 'Ava' Unexpected Dinner Guest
Mexican Sunflowers
Brazilian Verbena
Dwarf Butterfly Bushes
Callistemon

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Strange that you had a problem with aphids when you planted a milkweed. I think that a good result will be growing vegetables together with plants that repel aphids, for example garlic, onion, mint or lavender which is very effective.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I’m very into nature and wildlife, and I enjoy watching the monarch butterfly life cycle.

I have a spot right next to my vegetables garden section where I can have 3 pots of milkweed, however from my past experience with milkweed, it attracts aphids like a magnet. I don’t normally get aphids on my plants, but milkweed is something else.

am I shooting myself in the foot if I plant milkweed next to my vegetables?

I can't guarantee the same results, but oleander aphids are the only kind I've ever seen on my milkweeds, and they feed on only a few types of plants, so it shouldn't be of concern if that is the type of aphids you have on your milkweed. I've never seen them on any other plants in my gardens, including my fruits and vegetables.

Here are six substitutes you a substitute to attract Monarch butterflies.

Milkweed is the only host plant form Monarch caterpillars, no other plant is a substitute for that critical part of a Monarch's life cycle.
Monarchs can be attracted by many nectaring species, most notably Purple Coneflower and Meadow Blazing Star, but those plants only feed the adults. To help the population, milkweed is what they need most.

Ask a Question