growing indoors

Reaction score
How easy is it to grow herbs indoors? Are there some that are easier than others? My daughter really loves parsley flakes and I do grow them in the garden. I was thinking of doing some indoors as well as oregano and maybe a few others. My kitchen has 2 windows facing east.

Reaction score
I really think it can be done, I grow basil indoor and I'm doing just fine :) I also grow some mint, I use it for tea and also for some foods and even desserts!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Growing herbs indoors is very easy, everyone can do it:) Buy a herb you like, put it on a windowsill and water it from time to time, that's all:) I grow mint, basil and thyme.

Reaction score
Mint and tulsi plant is best herbal plant to use in indoor area.

Thanks
bJXdZLl.jpg

Reaction score
How easy is it to grow herbs indoors? Are there some that are easier than others? My daughter really loves parsley flakes and I do grow them in the garden. I was thinking of doing some indoors as well as oregano and maybe a few others. My kitchen has 2 windows facing east.

Although most herbs are regarded as easy to grow - the best choice for indoor growing are the soft herb varieties like mint, basil, chives, cilantro and parsley - with parsley being a really good choice for indoor growing - as it requires a lot less light than some of the other herb varieties.

However as most herbs require a southern exposure and do best when placed in a south, southeast or southwest facing window - although an east facing window will probably suffice - you may find that your plants don't grow quite as much as they should and that they need to be turned on a regular basis.

Which is why I'm not so sure that oregano would be a good choice - as apart from it being a bit tricky to grow and having a dislike of fluctuating temperatures - as it requires a minimum of 6 hours of sunlight a day and preferably more - it doesn't do too well in an east facing window - due to the fact that it doesn't get an adequate amount of sunlight for long enough.

Reaction score
My sister does more indoor gardening than I do. She always has a window full of herbs in her kitchen. It happens to be the perfect south facing window and the herbs do great there.

Reaction score
Growing plants indoors is not at all a problem now. This hydroponic tower, http://www.sparkinnovations.com/hydroponic-tower/ can help you to make sure that your indoor plants are as good as in outdoors. I am growing tomatoes and chilly in my apartment using this. They are growing quickly and healthily and now I can use fresh vegetables for cooking.

Reaction score
My husband grew a small herb garden in a Chinese takeout container lol. The lemon basil and chives were absolutely delicious. I would like to try my hand at my own indoor herb garden. When/if I do, I may post an update...

Reaction score
Do your research, if you're planning on trying to grow herbs indoors. The first time I tried them, all of my herbs died because I overwatered them and they didn't get enough sun. It was mildly traumatic.

Now, I have done my research and I am planning on trying again. :) Good luck! It's definitely a bit trickier than growing in an outdoor garden, but it can definitely be done. :)

Reaction score
I have been lucky myself. I have only north facing sun.... aka nothing but indirect sunlight in the fall/winter, but I have been able to manage a very nice basil each year, I also have thyme, which is growing just as nicely on my sill too and hasn't moved from the spot. I really do wish I had southern light but sadly I don't even have east or west lol, so I take what I can get and hpe for the best! In any case I just hope my rosemary survives this winter. I had to bring it in from the frost we already started to have :(

Reaction score
I have been lucky myself. I have only north facing sun.... aka nothing but indirect sunlight in the fall/winter, but I have been able to manage a very nice basil each year, I also have thyme, which is growing just as nicely on my sill too and hasn't moved from the spot. I really do wish I had southern light but sadly I don't even have east or west lol, so I take what I can get and hpe for the best! In any case I just hope my rosemary survives this winter. I had to bring it in from the frost we already started to have :(

Do you have any tips? I've had both basil and thyme die on my windowsill. :(

Reaction score

As you are hoping your Rosemary will survive the winter - this may help - particularly as Rosemary doesn't normally do very well when grown indoors and is best grown outdoors - which is due to lack of sunlight and the temperature being too warm for them and as its not heat that is crucial to their survival indoors but sunlight - as they still require at least 6 - 8 hours of sunlight or very bright light during the winter months - Rosemary is generally best kept outdoors over the winter in a more natural environment - like for instance - using some insulation around the pot to protect the roots and then placing it in a sheltered position or even in a garage if you have one and as they are relatively hardy - should the temperature drop below 20 F - the rest of the plant is easily protected by covering it with some horticultural fleece.

Reaction score
Do you have any tips? I've had both basil and thyme die on my windowsill. :(

The biggest problem is over watering I learned. Water once a day, early morning or late evening seems to do well for them. I am not really doing a whole lot more than that, I mean I'll transplant when they get bigger than their pots. Lol i dunno I'm just lucky I suppose.

As you are hoping your Rosemary will survive the winter - this may help - particularly as Rosemary doesn't normally do very well when grown indoors and is best grown outdoors - which is due to lack of sunlight and the temperature being too warm for them and as its not heat that is crucial to their survival indoors but sunlight - as they still require at least 6 - 8 hours of sunlight or very bright light during the winter months - Rosemary is generally best kept outdoors over the winter in a more natural environment - like for instance - using some insulation around the pot to protect the roots and then placing it in a sheltered position or even in a garage if you have one and as they are relatively hardy - should the temperature drop below 20 F - the rest of the plant is easily protected by covering it with some horticultural fleece.

Unfortunately it gets down to the - numbers where I tend to live *south of ontario lake gotta love lake effect and the new arctic winds from the north.... they wouldn't survive :(. I'd certainly keep them outside but as I said, its too cold, the garage my parents have has no windows so it certainly will die. I thought about artificial light, I just haven't done the research yet. :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Shawchert, we lived near Lake Ontario for years, and I had rosemary outside, in the soil, that survived and even thrived. The trick is to put the rosemary in a microclimate. We had it next to the stone foundation of our house and in an "ell" where the "lake effect winds" didn't get to it. The stone foundation provided warmth from the sun (a three high stack of bricks behind the plant will do the same thing) and the wind protection kept the ends from getting cold burned.
As an alternative, you can cut stems from your rosemary and hang them to dry. Then when you need rosemary, just chop the dried leaves very fine and add them to your dish, or wrap the whole stems in cheesecloth and add them to the stew, soup, or whatever.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good luck with your indoor herb garden, I got too heavy with the water when I tried mint this summer indoors. I plan to try again next summer, maybe start outside first and then move inside. It looks so easy.

Ask a Question