Growing indoors without direct light?

Reaction score
In all my previous homes, I've always liked to have herbs growing on my kitchen windowsill. I would have loved to be able to do the same in my new house, bit unfortunately, all my windowsills are too narrow to place any pots on.

I was thinking of putting a shelf up so I could place a few pots of herbs on it. However, I was wondering, do herbs require direct sunlight in which to grow, or would a medium amount of general light be sufficient?

Reaction score
I was just hoping to have a few basic kitchen herbs, such as basil, bay, oregano, chives, parsley, and perhaps some rosemary. Would they be okay with just a few hours of sunlight per day?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I tried to grow rosemary, thyme, basil and cilantro in containers; and set them on my windowsill too. They got some direct sunlight during the afternoon, but apparently not enough so they didn't really make it until I took them outside and planted them. I suppose they need lots of sun, at least in my area anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They make all kinds of fluorescent bulbs for growing now,if you had to go that route :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a window on the east wall of my house, in my kitchen. I was thinking about putting a few herbs there. I actually plan on getting out this weekend to get what I need.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
I would of thought it wouldn't work well for sun loving herbs.

The herbs that are happy to be in the shade though, I would givethem a try and see what happens.

I've never grown herbs with no light, but roughly 14 feet from the windowsill or on a north facing window and they did well.
I would of thought that oregano, chives and rosemary would be okay grown like this. Majoram is very similar in taste to oregano and seems to cope better with less light.

I think I actually killed my Aloe by giving it too much sun :( which I thought was impossible in the UK.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm afraid that most herbs need a lot of sunlight. I grow basil, lemon balm, thyme, oregano, parsley, mint and lovage on the top of my tiny fridge. To be honest, they aren't doing too good. I think it's too dark for them there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my first time doing all my herbs, myself. How well would they grow if I put them out on the back deck? It's on the east side of my house, too.

Ask a Question