Growing, growing, gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I live in the middle of San Francisco. We don't have regular seasons here, and the weather is unpredictable at best. At the moment, early June, the temperature is staying between 50 and 66 degrees, and it's foggy and overcast.
I sincerely want to grow flowers. I planted daffodils and iris last winter. The daffodils bloomed, but the iris bulbs never germinated. About two months ago, I planted marigold seeds, but nothing has happened yet. I have good soil, I use compost as fertilizer before planting, and occasionally add garden food.
What am I doing wrong, or is the weather my main problem? I'd love some advice.
Many thanks,
janice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This time of year I’d start with a few starter plants. Starting with starter plants, roots or bulbs always shows faster results. Living in a maritime climate myself their are advantages and disadvantages. Cool conditions can make seed starting difficult and needs to happen indoors in a sunny window. Place them outside soon after sprouting.

Flowering perennials to try might be phlox, snapdragons, rubeckias (lots of varieties like Black-eyed Susans, echinacea). These all bloom all summer and come back year after year getting bigger.

Check out a local nursery for ideas. As cool as the weather is it can also be dry, especially in the summer.

Remember to keep an eye out for slugs and snails. They will quickly devour seedlings.

Veggies that will readily sprout and like your climate are chard, flowering kale and all cole crops (cabbages) that can provide interest. Peas are great for snacking especially the edible pods varieties. Good luck and happy gardening

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thanks very much for your reply, Jewell. I am successful at growing a variety of lettuces and some herbs from seed. But even roots and bulbs are as slow as a seven year itch to appear. I actually cover the area in my garden where the seedlings sprout, so I'm not having problems with slugs or snails. Once things germinate I do surround them with diatomaceous earth.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I truly appreciate them.

Ask a Question