Growing grapes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I know that growing cucumbers is easy because the tendrils keep the vine in place on a trellis. Most vines have this touch related tropism. Do grapevines have this and what are these suckers I keep hearing about? I weed all the time but I have never seen suckers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Assume the grape vine is a T with two branches running from the top horizontally and there are exactly the same thing about two feet from the top. These are you four branches that produce the grapes. Each branch runs about 4 to 6 feet horizontally. They tentacle by themselves of may have a bit of help with ties. (A wire is run between posts to give the tentacles something to hang on to.)These get trimmed back each year. Takes a bit of skill but there are good diagrams on the internet. The height of the main vertical stem is about six feet.

Now for suckers. They run off the main stem which is vertical or even from the root. These should be cut off, since only one main stem is wanted.

Some people don't prune in the Spring and often end up with a poorly producing vine.

I have four vines and from the Concord in particular obtain a bushel of grapes or around 45 pounds almost every year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?AZQUW 16 September 2011 Concord Grapes

Thirty pounds of pristine Concord grapes were picked from my one vine,and made into juice. Twelve liters of juice was made from 30 pounds of grapes. Between two and three pounds of grapes for each liter. There were only about five earwigs found in the clusters.

Reaction score
I remembered before my father had tried to plant grapes in our garden and in some ways it bears fruits but we only had one harvest and nothing follows after that. Maybe because the climate in my home country is not good for planting grapes.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I once tried to grow grapes in my backyard, however, I failed miserably. Perhaps because climate or soil in my place was not suitable for grapes.

Ask a Question