Growing ginger indoors?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What's the proper way to go about growing ginger indoors? I eat a lot of ginger in a week(about three pounds) so I decided I want to grow my own. The only problem is it's about to be winter and I know that's not the best time to plant anything. Is it possible to grow it indoors? About how many inches of dirt should I have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a lot of ginger throughout the week too, and it is expensive here, about $5.00 dollars a pound at our local fruits and vegetables market. It is even more at the food chain stores.

Growing ginger indoors sound interesting, and we are about to get snow here in Michigan. I did a quick search and came across this article: http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/11/how-to-grow-ginger-indoors/

So yes it can be grown indoors!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I use a lot of ginger throughout the week too, and it is expensive here, about $5.00 dollars a pound at our local fruits and vegetables market. It is even more at the food chain stores.

Growing ginger indoors sound interesting, and we are about to get snow here in Michigan. I did a quick search and came across this article: http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/11/how-to-grow-ginger-indoors/

Thanks for sharing that article @IcyBC ! Ginger is rather expensive here too, but it's something we really enjoy cooking with, so I might need to give it a whirl and see if we can get a plant started! And I guess now might be a good time!

I liked what the article said:

Ginger takes 10 months to mature and it doesn’t tolerate frost. If you live in a place where it gets chilly in the winter, you’d be better off growing ginger in a pot indoors and bringing it outside in the summertime.

It sounds like at this time of year it's more convenient to grow it indoors than trying outdoors! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have lots of ginger around the house. Aside from those planted on the ground, we also have a ginger planted in a pot. It is actually prolific and we harvest it regularly for the kitchen use. My guess is that ginger in the pot will be a good decoration for the living room so I'd say it is a good indoor plant as long as it is watered regularly (once a day) and exposed to sun at least one day a week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing that article @IcyBC ! Ginger is rather expensive here too, but it's something we really enjoy cooking with, so I might need to give it a whirl and see if we can get a plant started! And I guess now might be a good time!

I liked what the article said:

Ginger takes 10 months to mature and it doesn’t tolerate frost. If you live in a place where it gets chilly in the winter, you’d be better off growing ginger in a pot indoors and bringing it outside in the summertime.

It sounds like at this time of year it's more convenient to grow it indoors than trying outdoors! :)

You are welcome! We have just moved about two weeks ago, and even though I wanted to start planting ginger now, I can't find anything as everything is boxed up. I am lucky to enough get the living room cleared out for a Christmas tree.

If you start planting ginger, keep me update it and let me know how it goes for you :) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Reaction score
Country
United States

Yes this article is just what I need. It's also snowing here. Well more like freezing over but it's cold all the same. Thanks!

Ask a Question