Growing garlic

Reaction score
I've been a avid gardener for almost 30 years, however last fall was the first time I grew garlic. I think my garlic looks perfectly healthy. My question is, when do I dig it up. I've heard so many conflicting techniques, do I wait for flowers, for the stem to curl , is there a height requirement or do I take a sneak peak at the roots? Please advise.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
How many did you plant? You could always carefully dig around the bulb farthest to the edge and see how it looks. Also, you're supposed to cut the flower when it appears so that the bulb will grow bigger. If your garlic hasn't flowered at all, it probably isn't ready.

I think Jed would have the answer to your question, he's just posted his garlic photo to the existing garlic thread.

Reaction score
How many did you plant? You could always carefully dig around the bulb farthest to the edge and see how it looks. Also, you're supposed to cut the flower when it appears so that the bulb will grow bigger. If your garlic hasn't flowered at all, it probably isn't ready.

I think Jed would have the answer to your question, he's just posted his garlic photo to the existing garlic thread.

Thank you, ChanellG. I planted approximately eight bulbs. So far they don't have any buds, so I guess it's still kind of early. I will look for Jed's post about garlic, and see if it leads to more clarity.

Reaction score
I tried planting garlic using the two bulbs but it didn't work out. It turns yellow after a a leaf came out. Do you think they need full sun?

Reaction score
Hi Chanellg, I will certainly be checking out Jed's post and thanks for the information. I tried planting garlic before, but it didn't do well, as much garlic as I eat, I should certainly be growing it. I would love to plant some garlic, but wasn't sure if I should try again after that last failure. I think I will end up planting some more this season.

Jed

Reaction score
Looking at your photo Rzashida the garlic is close to being ready.
You can start pulling garlic when most of the bottom leaves of the plant turn brown and have very little green in them and the top leaves are hanging low. Flower stems are a funny one. Sometimes they happen early and other times just about the time you pull and sometimes not at all. If you live in an area with a lot of rain it's best to pull the flower stemmed garlic before it gets too much water. There's a tendency for the garlic skin to discolour and the garlic itself takes on a unusual aroma as the water runs down the stem to the bulb. The smell is a bit perfumey but still edible.
Garlic is also susceptible to a number of diseases so keep an eye out for anything unusual.It is possible to introduce diseases from store bought vegetables. I brought home a disease on store bought onions that affected my garlic.
Anything you suspect of being diseased ensure you do not compost it back into your garden.

Reaction score
Looking at your photo Rzashida the garlic is close to being ready.
You can start pulling garlic when most of the bottom leaves of the plant turn brown and have very little green in them and the top leaves are hanging low. Flower stems are a funny one. Sometimes they happen early and other times just about the time you pull and sometimes not at all. If you live in an area with a lot of rain it's best to pull the flower stemmed garlic before it gets too much water. There's a tendency for the garlic skin to discolour and the garlic itself takes on a unusual aroma as the water runs down the stem to the bulb. The smell is a bit perfumey but still edible.
Garlic is also susceptible to a number of diseases so keep an eye out for anything unusual.It is possible to introduce diseases from store bought vegetables. I brought home a disease on store bought onions that affected my garlic.
Anything you suspect of being diseased ensure you do not compost it back into your garden.
Thank you Jed, that's great info. I will pull them up this week. Ironically, it's been raining a lot, so I am glad you mentioned the rain. You have been very helpful.

Ask a Question