Growing garlic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, me and my friend have been given some garlic bulbs to plant that came with no instructions.

We live in central UK, does anyone know when and how we should plant? Can you start them indoors?

Kind regards

Vicy

TropicalFarmer

Technological Philosopher
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Costa Rica
I just planted some about a 10 days ago and they germinated fast in regular soil in my greenhouse.
No problems.
I will replant on the ground later this month.
1652055507463.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
I live in Port Townsend Wa. USA. we have a climate which is similar to central GB. I plant in late October out doors. Garlic will be ready in mid summer. Mulch and it survives mild winter weather.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In Sussex I usually plant direct outside in December or January (They are looking pretty good now), but I reckon you would still get something if you planted now. My old neighbour used to plant on his wife's birthday in October, so they are pretty flexible. I have never had any problems with winter weather, they seem very hardy, but they like good soil or they are small cloves. I have some growing on a lousy bit of soil where I only dug up one of two rows last year, I shall be interested to see what a second year and some bonemeal has done for them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In this country (uk) plant your cloves between early February and mid April in the open. Plant in rows 6-8 in apart. Space in the row 4 in. Planting depth 1 1/4 " pointed end up. Garlic prefers a warm and sheltered location. Water as required. They take about 120 days to mature. Lift when the leaves start to die off. So June onwards until end of July is the harvesting period. Leave on the surface for a few days to mature. If you can plait then do so before they get to dry. Keep in an airy space but free from frost and they will keep until next years crop is due. Garlic keeps away carrot fly and all kinds of nibbling insects from the likes of carrots. A bit of wood ash helps with growth.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old neighbour used to plant on his wife's birthday in October,
I was thinking about this, that was sweet peas, I'm getting senile in my old age.
In this country (uk) plant your cloves between early February and mid April in the open.
I plant a good month before that and get away with it, so I reckon if she pops them in quick a month later (now) she will still get away with it; I'll get mine in June, she might have to wait 'til August, but it's still summer weather then. It is worth a try, I can't see them keeping well 'til next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You say they were given to you, so check they are not garlic purchased at the grocery store for eating. Those are usually (unless "organic") treated to stop them shooting. so they may take a very long time to sprout.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You say they were given to you, so check they are not garlic purchased at the grocery store for eating. Those are usually (unless "organic") treated to stop them shooting. so they may take a very long time to sprout.
That doesn't seem to be the case much in the UK, they tend to sprout even when they get left at the bottom of the cupboard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
You must cut the garlic scapes. Other wise they just go to seed. the scapes are delicious, I use garlic scapes to make a pesto. which freezes well and can be used whereever a pesto is needed. The Scape is easily identified as it is a round stalk has a flower/seed ball at the end. Mine have not yet started making them but I expect them soon..

Ask a Question