Growing Garlic Indoor

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I've made a few attempts at growing garlic and onion, most of them not working out so well. I think I've finally nailed down growing onions from scraps (starting them in the fridge, then putting them in a bucket), but garlic is still a mystery to me. I attempted growing them both outside with no luck, and I believe it might be my soil. Since I'm in the Midwest, our soil is extremely rich, which is a fabulous thing for most plants. Garlic, on the other hand, I don't believe enjoys this soil. I was thinking maybe adding sand to a bucket of dirt, but afraid this won't totally "fix" the soil.

Have you ever tried to grow garlic? What kind of soil did you use?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I haven't attempt to grow anything indoor since my house lack direct sunlight. We have the overhanging roof that is too wide around the house for the sun to even reach the window. I can only grow flowers and vegetables in the summer as in Michigan, winter is long and brutal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I grow garlic in rich soil, so I don't think that's your problem.
Garlic needs a period of cold too, called vernalisation, or it won't divide into cloves, so outside is best, as it's extremely hardy.
Best planted in the autumn (NOW) and should be ready to harvest late June-July.

Reaction score
I have never tried growing my own garlic, but it's something that I would love to do. Garlic is one of my favorite things to incorporate into my food. I'm kind of bummed that it's hard to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I grow garlic in rich soil, so I don't think that's your problem.
Garlic needs a period of cold too, called vernalisation, or it won't divide into cloves, so outside is best, as it's extremely hardy.
Best planted in the autumn (NOW) and should be ready to harvest late June-July.

Well that's just it - we do start the cloves in the fridge first. I wrap them in paper towels and stick them in a bag, then when they are sprouting I stick them in dirt. They always seem to die :( Onions are no problem - we use the same process and they've been growing just fine. I wonder if it has to do with where I'm putting them and the lack of drainage or even sunlight that's causing them to die. Very puzzling since we grow so many other plants both inside and outside!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Well that's just it - we do start the cloves in the fridge first. I wrap them in paper towels and stick them in a bag, then when they are sprouting I stick them in dirt. They always seem to die :( Onions are no problem - we use the same process and they've been growing just fine. I wonder if it has to do with where I'm putting them and the lack of drainage or even sunlight that's causing them to die. Very puzzling since we grow so many other plants both inside and outside!
That's a problem. Get them in the ground BEFORE they sprout, and, if your winter is cold enough, no prior vernalisation necessary.
Another point; make sure the ground you plant them in is not too solid.
It's best to poke a finger into the soil and then put the clove (sharp end up) into the hole, so as not to damage it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
That's a problem. Get them in the ground BEFORE they sprout, and, if your winter is cold enough, no prior vernalisation necessary.
Another point; make sure the ground you plant them in is not too solid.
It's best to poke a finger into the soil and then put the clove (sharp end up) into the hole, so as not to damage it.

These are being planted inside, so would the same still apply? I've always read to stick them in a bag in the fridge and let them sprout first before planting. I honestly think it might be the dirt, as it's pretty solid and rich soil. I'm planning on mixing sand and/or rock into the dirt so it will drain better and not be so solid, but still iffy on if that will work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love garlic, but did not use as much of it as I used to grow and had to give a lot of it away to people. It can be finicky and I do not think the soil is your problem either. You have to make sure your sunlight and temperatures are right.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Glad you reminded me with this thread, been busy with other things and completely forgot to get my Garlic in :rolleyes:

Will be on it tomorrow (y)

Would have thought Garlic would get a bit leggy grown indoors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I hope that growing garlic indoors isn't too difficult, I'd love to give it a try. Lately, we've been eating a lot of garlic. I used to hate the taste of it, but now I changed my mind. For example, garlic butter can be really delicious:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I'm not sure if the garlic do not like fertile soil but I'm sure that garlic can grow even in pots. All it needs is regular watering to protect it from excessive heat particularly during summer. We don't buy garlic, not for the cost, but for the fun of cooking our harvest. We have plenty of garlic scattered around our house. And one is even planted in a plastic pot that we usually harvest from time to time. There is that potted garlic -
IMG_4120 luya.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
I didn't even know it was possible to grow garlic indoors. This is something I am very interested in. I feel like my garlic only lasts a few weeks in the fridge and I am always wasting it. Having an indoor garlic plant would solve a lot of issues and save a lot of money.
Does anyone know if it is possible to use a part of garlic to plant more? Or do I have to buy it from a nursery?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't even know it was possible to grow garlic indoors. This is something I am very interested in. I feel like my garlic only lasts a few weeks in the fridge and I am always wasting it. Having an indoor garlic plant would solve a lot of issues and save a lot of money.
Does anyone know if it is possible to use a part of garlic to plant more? Or do I have to buy it from a nursery?

Supermarket bulbs are usually treated with a growth inhibitor to stop it sprouting in the shop, so they don't produce full size bulbs if you replant them.

Seed cloves from a nursery are expensive so it's best to buy organically grown bulbs to split up and plant :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I've never tried to grow garlic indoors, probably because I have no need to do so. Elephant garlic is all I've ever grown and I will say, without a doubt, it's the easiest garden plant to grow with success that I've ever grown. The only caveat for me is I shouldn't plant until after frost because of grasshoppers. As it comes up grasshoppers tend to keep it nibbled close to the soil surface but it still comes up after frost and makes a crop.

http://www.growyourown.info/page145.html

The garlic pictured is a record here in 2012 and it's never been duplicated here at the ranch.soil test humus 4-17-09.jpg Garlic 1.5 lb. 6-2-12 .jpg.JPG soil test humus 4-17-09.jpg Garlic 1.5 lb. 6-2-12 .jpg.JPG
soil test humus 4-17-09.jpg
Garlic 1.5 lb. 6-2-12 .jpg.JPG
soil test humus 4-17-09.jpg
Garlic 1.5 lb. 6-2-12 .jpg.JPG

If anyone wonders what their soil consists of the jar soil test gives a good indication of the soil structure. Soil + water , shake vigorously and allow to set to determine the specific gravity of each component.

Ask a Question