Growing Flowers for Money

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm about to build a 10 x 10 green house in a few stages. It's still being in the planning stage so that I can lay out a budget. But concurrently I am researching things in-order to help re-coupe the cost of building a couple thousand dollar green house.

It's too costly to sell food - as you need to be licensed to sell food, of which you need insurance too. So I've decided on selling Flowers. I am wondering what would grow well in a greenhouse relatively quickly, that I can count on florists to buy up. I know ultimately it'll come down to me calling my florist, but at the moment - I know next to nothing about flowers other than they are pretty and that you need them to be pollinated to make bell peppers and jalapenos - thanks mosquitoes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I would have thought the most popular flowers in florists would be roses and lilies, but in terms of the profit margin on those - I have no idea. I would imagine that it would be difficult to compete with large-scale producers when it comes to mass produced popular blooms.

I would have thought your best bet would be to find something that the local florist wants but can't find elsewhere (or can't find easily).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yep, just talk with your local florist to find out what they want, need. Locally we have a huge greenhouse that raises nothing but roses, they sell to local florists and to the grocery stores. There is also an area I pass by often it is a huge field of peonies. They only bloom the one time a year. But, during that time, I see people out there gathering, cutting, organizing them under a shelter. I am told they take them to various florists around the county. I have seen in cute country stores, those flowers that dry well, in little gatherings for sale.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yep, just talk with your local florist to find out what they want, need. Locally we have a huge greenhouse that raises nothing but roses, they sell to local florists and to the grocery stores. There is also an area I pass by often it is a huge field of peonies. They only bloom the one time a year. But, during that time, I see people out there gathering, cutting, organizing them under a shelter. I am told they take them to various florists around the county. I have seen in cute country stores, those flowers that dry well, in little gatherings for sale.

Thatsbwhat im thinking too, I couldn't compete with roses. That's an over saturated market with big places churning out millions of roses a week it seems. I couldn't produce enough to meet demand. But that's okay.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes forget roses I spent some time many years back growing them Its more complex than many think . Planting stock...Waited 12 months then Grafting the Buds of your Chosen Variety to the stock then Wait another year for the Budded stocks to grow and bloom before they are ready to sell You also have to rotate the land you grow them in so you would need to split you ground in to 3. 1 for say budded stock 2 for new stock and 3 for resting ground to stop build up of pests extra .

I'd suggest, say go for Alpines. Small little plants that sell all day long. Summer & winter, When In flower & not , to people with gardens from window boxes to parks. They are also little Tuff guys that can look after them selves if you take a break. there are 1000s to choose from. Succulents could be another idea Or ferns. All need different conditions. One more ....Carnivorous plants:) We need more people growing theses nastys;).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes forget roses I spent some time many years back growing them Its more complex than many think . Planting stock...Waited 12 months then Grafting the Buds of your Chosen Variety to the stock then Wait another year for the Budded stocks to grow and bloom before they are ready to sell You also have to rotate the land you grow them in so you would need to split you ground in to 3. 1 for say budded stock 2 for new stock and 3 for resting ground to stop build up of pests extra .

I'd suggest, say go for Alpines. Small little plants that sell all day long. Summer & winter, When In flower & not , to people with gardens from window boxes to parks. They are also little Tuff guys that can look after them selves if you take a break. there are 1000s to choose from. Succulents could be another idea Or ferns. All need different conditions. One more ....Carnivorous plants:) We need more people growing theses nastys;).

Carnivorous plants are pretty cool - only problem is soil conditions need to be next to near nothing. Also poses a lot of issues for root root. I have a Venus fly trap once when I worked at a fast food joint, I'd use cups to snatch fly's, shake the cup to knock out the fly. Let's just say that my little plant had some healthy eating!

I'll look to grow some fly traps, but I don't suspect them to be a major seller - if anything more so pest control inside the green house.

I think it comes down to me, with boots on the ground, talking to florists to see what they need.

Which in my plan falls within about a year after build my greenhouse - I want to have product on hand and proof I can supply.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not knowledgeable enough to advise on what type of flowers you can grow profitably.

However I wouldn't limit your market to florists, who will probably pay the least. How about funeral homes, cemetaries (or companies that make grave blankets etc), restaurants, decorators, people who make concoctions from herbs and flowers...just off the top of my head. I knew someone back in Colorado who had a pretty nice sideline growing herbs and fancy lettuces she sold to (just one) restaurant that prided itself in fresh/locally produced ingredients. Also, farmers markets, if you have a busy one close by. Either directly, or to a regular as a reseller.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm not knowledgeable enough to advise on what type of flowers you can grow profitably.

However I wouldn't limit your market to florists, who will probably pay the least. How about funeral homes, cemetaries (or companies that make grave blankets etc), restaurants, decorators, people who make concoctions from herbs and flowers...just off the top of my head. I knew someone back in Colorado who had a pretty nice sideline growing herbs and fancy lettuces she sold to (just one) restaurant that prided itself in fresh/locally produced ingredients. Also, farmers markets, if you have a busy one close by. Either directly, or to a regular as a reseller.

Problem with selling food, and food items is that police in my naibour hood are cracking down on food sales without licensing. So if I'm selling for consumption, I'd have to go get all the things to make me a 'legit business'. A cost I don't want at this moment, it has a high start up cost, and maintaining the logs for cleanliness is a bit much more than I'm wanting to do at this moment.

Funeral homes would be nice - I don't think I'd have the capacity or capabilities to sell right off the bat, I have only about 500 sq.ft of space to grow (stacked 250 sq. Ft corner of a 10x10 green house)

Thanks for the ideas, I'm definitely looking at getting the certifications to sell consumables from home - there's a cottage law that allows homeowners to do so however, there's a risk of someone suing you...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ah...right, I didn't consider the necessity in many states to jump through hoops to sell edibles. A guy near me has a large organic community garden and greenhouses and sells year around at the farmers market, but I imagine he has to maintain certain standards for food safety.

Well keep us updated on your endeavours! (y)

Ask a Question