ziskasun

A seed once sown never dies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello everyone,
I am trying to grow some cucumbers and summer squash in containers and I'm wondering, what is the best way to train the vines to crawl upwards on a wire trellis? I have only ever grown them on the ground before where they can just vine around on the ground. I've seen a few pictures online of other people growing squash vertically but I'm not sure how the vine supports the weight of the squash as it grows. Any ideas?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was reading up on vertical gardening just yesterday!! As I understand it, the vine is loosely tied to the trellis, much like you stake a tomato.

The website I was looking at was from a woman that actually wrote a book on vertical gardening, and she grew a 17 pound watermelon (!!) and supported it with pantyhose!

Here's the website where I found it, and there's a pic...
https://abundantminigardens.com/growing-watermelon-on-trellises/

Watermelon-in-sling_1.jpg

I'd imagine you could use old knee-high hose for cukes. They might support themselves on the vine, though. See the butternut squash in the back left? I don' t see anything supporting them...

:ROFLMAO: Next year, I'm going to try growing spaghetti squash on a trellis, and support it with old underwear! :ROFLMAO: Partly just to try it, and partly to freak out the neighbors... :eek: :eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I grow cucumbers up a cane and along wires, which allows me to grow them closer together.
A hint for growing cukes in pots: when you transplant to their big pots, sink a three inch plantpot up to the neck in the growing medium and water through this to avoid root-rot.

Ask a Question