Growing Blueberries

Reaction score
Saw a blueberry bush at Aldi a week ago or so and thought about getting it. Does anyone here have any advice or experience with growing blueberries? I know they need full sun, so other than that?
While we wouldn't be getting enough to last all year, I know that growing a few of our own would save us a little money.

Reaction score
I'd recommend some netting for it because once the birds see those berries they will be gone in a heart beat. They do better when grown with another one - it helps with cross pollination. Do a soil test before you plant. Blueberries like a moist, high in humus, and well aerated soil. Most importantly they like it acidic. A soil test will help you to find the level of acidity in the soil.

Reaction score
I don't know much about growing blueberries, but I've got a similar situation here. I've recently discovered that our new property has an entire berry patch with blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. It hasn't been maintained in quite awhile, and all the plants are growing beautifully. I just have to figure out how to de-bramble the raspberry stalks. My neighbour did say that the blueberry bushes were magnets for birds and that often the birds get to the berries before they could. Interestingly, the plants are behind a shed that faces north. I have no idea how they are surviving without direct full sunlight, but apparently they are quite hardy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I have a few blueberry bushes, and hope to add more as I can afford them. From what I have read, they need acidic soil, and it was recommended that you use pine needles, or something similar to make the soil the right pH. There are also some special mixes that you can buy that are supposed to help blueberries grow.
I have also read that you should have several varieties, so they can pollinate better, so be sure to get at least two kinds.
Another important thing is to get berries that are good growers for your climate.People in colder climates need different varieties of blueberries than people who live in the warm southern climates; so before you buy any berries, it is good to check and see which varieties are recommended for the area where you live.

Reaction score
I don't know much about growing blueberries, but I've got a similar situation here. I've recently discovered that our new property has an entire berry patch with blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. It hasn't been maintained in quite awhile, and all the plants are growing beautifully. I just have to figure out how to de-bramble the raspberry stalks. My neighbour did say that the blueberry bushes were magnets for birds and that often the birds get to the berries before they could. Interestingly, the plants are behind a shed that faces north. I have no idea how they are surviving without direct full sunlight, but apparently they are quite hardy.
Sometimes plants get a spot and fall in love with it even if it does have the optimal requirements for the plant. If the berry bushes are growing then leave them be. I would wait until the fall or early winter to try and de-bramble the raspberry stalks. For the blueberries you could try some netting; the plants get the light but the birds can't get the fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Once you get a good bush of blueberries growing, you will save yourself a ton of money. They are expensive to buy in the grocery store, even when they are locally in season. I think water and good sunlight is all you really need. If you get a whole bunch growing, set up a stand in front of your house and you can probably sell them for a profit.

Reaction score
They should not get full sun. I was told they need about half the day in sun and half the day in sun and half the day in shade. My wife bought a plant getting all excited about planting it and I told her to wait for me to pick a spot and one day I come home and she picked the worst place to plant it and now it looks like it too a blast from a heat ray as some of the leaves turned brown, though that may be because we had a horrible heat wave last weak and it couldn't handle it.

Reaction score
Two years ago, I bought two blueberry bushes, but they both died. I am not too sure what I did wrong. Well, come to think of it and after reading this thread, I probably planted them in the yard where there is too much sun. There was no shade during the day. I guess they got too hot.

Reaction score
Hello, Nearly a year ago, I bought 2 blue berry plants. They told me it would be helpful to have 2 plants instead of one because it would help pollination and we'd get fruit more consistently hence 2 plants. I bought these plants with fruit and in the year since I've had them, I have not had a single fruit. I have used coffee grounds, got some actual acidic soil mixture from Home Depot but nothing seems to make a difference. Lately it has been changing color. Is it dying? Please help. Thanks

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 351
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 398
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 384
Reaction score
Sorry, they look like they are dying. I don't know if there is anything you can do to save them either. It is always sad to see a plant go!

Ask a Question