Growing Basil

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This Christmas my son gave me an Aerogarden with Basil and Dill seeds included. Now the plants are HUGE and I transplanted them into pots. The Basil has flowers on it. My question is, do I have to harvest it now, before it dies, or will the plant keep living after flowering, like a house plant. This is my first try at herbs, and I should have researched before starting them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pinch off the flowers, if you want to encourage leaf growth. I grow basil every year outside and it produces like crazy until the frost gets it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
You should give it a trim! Basil loves being pruned! It makes them grow faster and bushier. Just clip in below the next set of the 2 leaves and it will produce 2 off shoots which will give you double the production. Trimming it after will give you quadruple and so fourth!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Will stay alive as long as you trim, once it start to flower, seed ripen then plant will die.

You may leave one auxiliary branch flower for collecting seeds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks, everyone ! I hope my Basil will have a long and productive life (at least until I can plant outdoors!).

Ask a Question